(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1082

OK, but again I would suggest that the fatigue cost is calculated after the roll, since for most spells a failure results in a cost of 1, not the full cost of the spell. Unless of course you spend the full fatigue (I know you need it to attempt to cast the spell) and then get it back if you fail, but that doesn't make much sense either. The rules seem a bit vague (to me anyway) on when the ST is spent in relation to the DX roll (even though it says the spell takes place immediately after the roll, it doesn't explain the issue above).

I can see how some would say this is much more powerful, but since there is so much more opportunity for distraction, and I altered the maintenance aspect to make it harder to have multiple spells concurrently, it seemed a fair tradeoff.

I know casting from books takes the full time, but there you don't know the spell, you are reading it. Here you know the spell, you are just choosing to be more methodical about it and putting less strain on your system in doing so.

Also, almost any of these spells still take less time than reading from a book, so if you want to roll at the end, it would be in keeping with the system, but it would just make it much less appealing.

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Richard Walters <rick.walters@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: (TFT) Slow Magic
>
>As a house rule, we've always rolled each day for the longer creation spells.  The logic is that it's obvious when concentration is broken and the juggler drops a bowling pin.  It seems illogical to wait for three days and then make one roll.  But, this essentially makes the spell "harder" to cast these spells, not easier.  If you have to roll three times and make it all three times, the probablity you'll succeed goes down.
>
>Good Fortune,
>Richard

yeah, definitely harder - a three day spell this way has a minimum 13% chance of failure