RE: (TFT) Excerpts from the Dark Lords diary

> David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as discoveries go I have developed a childrens game on the inner
four
> > planets.

> I'm a huge fan of space games, and I'd be very interested to see this!

Joe,
   By childrens game, I mean a specific point in their mathmatics education in
school.  My parents were taught logic as an outgrowth of geometry.  My
generation was taught geometry, but only as an exercise in memorizing and
regurgitating postulates and theorms.  Math teachers could be fired for
teaching geometry as the foundation of logic.  Where the entire system could
be built from five simple rules.  The current generation is not even taught
how to carry the remainder in long division.
   An example.

   80 divided by 8 =

   The accptable answers are

   9, or 10, or 11 clusters.

   The kids are told if they want a precise answer to just use a calculator.
They are not taught to carry the remainders.  Math is taught now as more a
broad brush, and as an understanding of relative size.  Not as a tool for
precision.

   And the latest development portends that the future will have a new
definition for a final answer.  Instead of reducing everything to it's decimal
format say 1/4 = 0.25, the final answer will be in the fraction form, or 1/4.
So a 365 day year with leap years every four could be listed as 365 1/4, not
365.25

   I felt that 365 1/4 doesn't convey the sense that the orbital period of
earth is the result of the interaction of processes.  So I use the most
accurate two digit fractions I could to generate them in all combinations from
the first power through ^9th, and every single orbital period has the most
accurate solution with a ^2 formula.  Hence Kepler and Newton were right (we
already knew that) and now I can speak on Kepler and Newton in the language of
the "new math".

   Instead of the format I showed Jay in the previous post

    (1/9 +19)^2 = 365.23457

   I reduce it to a complete fraction for the kids.

    ( 172 / 9 )^2 = 365.23457

   Though in their case 172/9 squared is the "answer" for earth's orbital
period.  Creating a solar system of gods who can jump from planet to planet,
fight, and jump between the moons, this number becomes just something they use
without thinking about it.  I hope this is enough to satisfy your curiosity
for now.

David Michael Grouchy II