(TFT) style

Called shots.

Craps (36)
2 - (L*) 35 to 1 [1]
3 - (L) 17 to 1 [2]
4 - 11 to 1 [3]
5 - 8 to 1 [4]
6 - 31 to 5 (basically 6 to 1) [5]
7 - (1st roll W, L thereafter) (avg.) 5 to 1 [6]
8 - 6 to 1 [5]
9 - 8 to 1 [4]
10 - 11 to 1 [3]
11 - (W) 17 to 1 [2]
12 - (L*) 35 to 1 [1]

W/L = win/loss on 1st roll
L* = always loss
[#] = number of combinations

I've had some luck with allowing a player to "call" their number, craps style, for success rolls.
They can pick any number equal to or under their adjusted Statistic.
If they roll their call I allow "maximum" effect for that action, like doing full weapon damage, the "sweet spot".
I'll talk in more detail about maximum effect later, for now I'm speaking of success rolls for any Statistic.
Criticals are always the minimum/maximum rolls, i.e. one in x chance.

Here's what's going on with three sixes.

3d Craps Basic (216)
3 - (auto) 215 to 1 [1]
4 - (auto) 72 to 1 [3]
5 - (auto) 36 to 1 [6] Gimp
6 - 21.6 to 1 [10]
7 - 14.4 to 1 [15]
8 - 10.29 to 1 [21]
9 - 8.64 to 1 [25]
10 - (avg.) 8 to 1 [27]
11 - (avg.) 8 to 1 [27]
12 - 8.64 to 1 [25]
13 - 10.29 to 1 [21]
14 - 14.4 to 1 [15]
15 - 21.6 to 1 [10]
16 - (auto) 36 to 1 [6] Gimp
17 - (auto) 72 to 1 [3]
18 - (auto) 215 to 1 [1]
Note that the range 5 thru 9 in 2d is encompassed by the range 10 & 11 in 3d.

I call 2d rolls Gimp checks in my notation.
It means half speed, or not full effort.
Literally one half of that maximum effect thing for measured Talents.
The 3d6 roll is normal effort, full speed, etc.
I use 4d6 to represent a swing away, everything you've got, maximum effort.

4d Craps Normal (1296)
4 - (auto) 1295 to 1 [1]
5 - (auto) 324 to 1 [4]
6 - (auto) 129.6 to 1 [10]
7 - (auto) 72 to 1 [18]
8 - (auto) 46.29 to 1 [28]
9 - 36 to 1 [36] Gimp
10 - 19.05 to 1 [68]
11 - 15.8 to 1 [82]
12 - 11.27 to 1 [115]
13 - 10.29 to 1 [126] {3d 8}
14 - (avg.) 8.2 to 1 [158]
15 - 10.29 to 1 [126] {3d 13}
16 - 11.27 to 1 [115]
17 - 15.8 to 1 [82]
18 - 19.05 to 1 [68]
19 - 36 to 1 [36] Gimp
20 - (auto) 61.7 to 1 [21]
21 - (auto) 81 to 1 [16]
22 - (auto) 129.6 to 1 [10]
23 - (auto) 324 to 1 [4]
24 - (auto) 1295 to 1 [1]

I'll let a player volunteer to roll up to 10 dice when hitting a baseball, then I'll hang additional dice as effects if needed, like weather.
For abstract Talents, I have the player write down complex intentions, then diagram it and hang dice on the terms.
Basically, if the player is hanging an adjective on the standard Talent I'm hanging an extra die to the success roll.
I'll talk about that in more detail at another time, for now I'm pointing out how I use the dice and how I can get to a large number of dice in a single roll.

I find this gives high stat Figures both a little bit of "bite" and provides an escalating scale of power for the statistics.
It also gives the players an interesting set of choices, or controls over their rolls, and offers the player and the GM an opportunity to come to a meeting of the minds on what exactly is being decided by this roll, by adding or removing dice from the roll.
The vaguer the tools, like hexes and chits, the less useful they are for producing a meeting of the minds.
To me this meeting of the minds is a key factor in my enjoyment derived from GMing.

"I attack," says the player.
"Okay, roll" says the GM.

This is fine as long as both players understand each other.
I've seen RPG "groups" act as well coordinated as a military unit or football team, under surprise circumstances.
However, these days my experiences with GMing have gravitated around teaching the basics of the system to inexperienced players, or teaching the basics of the system to over-experienced players that require a certain amount of deprogramming so to speak.
"Yes, I know, but we're not playing Warhammer right now are we?"
I also can't afford followers right now, heck I can barely afford me.
(note to GM's like me that worry about that Talent. Maybe most of all.)
Since I also can't afford the protection of a bureaucracy, I protect myself from attempts on my person by formalizing my gaming currently, and fairness dictates that I spend time playing their stuff.
Ergo I don't run any campaign currently.
For my scenario stuff however, the players seem to get a big kick outta it.
I'd swear sometimes these guys get psychic.