Re: (TFT) Magic Item Creation Example?

Okay, History Channel in the background just paid off in spades.

Dr. Peter Warwick.
Mr. Cyborg

Seems that Mr. C done got a little robot rolling around the room on a bluetooth conn. to an organic control system consisting of 100,000 rat brain cells.
The brain cells keep the thing from hitting the walls without human intervention, and they get better at it with time.

That last little bit is what raises this little trivia bit from the Welcome to the Machine file (Pentagon grants to Roomba, etc.) into something that can help quantify IQ.
I've no idea what exactly is going on with the specifics, but this is as promising as any other measure of Talents to IQ I've found.

Excepting of course Time.

Hard to go to school with a full time job, even if they let you in and even then the class you want may not be available that semester...

Heck, a medieval society basically ignores the peasants.
When looking at the total population of an area, 1 in 50 can apprentice, and 1 in 300 can become Wizards.
Then eliminate 70 to 90% of those people.
They're peasants and excluded from the mix.

I might as well babble about this here.
To have war, we're going to need limits.
One of the first ones is going to be on the number of people available at any one time, in a given age group.
These population curves are widely used in census data and such.
Without a fixed population, a GM can tell a war story, or provide the trappings of war to a scenario, etc. but there's no fair way to actually conduct a war in such a way that player's actions have real and long term effects succeed or fail.
If people are just appearing outta thin air, well it might be better to roll a disbelieve...

If you know how many people you have total, then you know how big an army you can field, total.
Even if you gave the baby's pistols or something.
Total.

So not only do you size the army, you know how many are left behind to feed them.

Think I'm joking?

In Civ the order is P for Plunder.

You've got walls and I ain't got catapults?

Better have enough grain in the granary to last until you can get another unit down there to break the siege.
Else if, you'd better get to shipping surplus food there, and all those caravans are gonna need guards...

Give the players a little strategic control over the game, (you can still hand them a Kobiahshi Maru control freaks) and they will pick the TFT scenarios they want to micro-manage all on their own, no more writing a "plotline" for the session that usually would turn into a list of things that aren't gonna happen tonight if the players REALLY had their own head.

It's NOT too big and it's NOT too much.
It's not too hard either.
Hell, planets are nothing, I'm throwing planets at each other right now in prep for the Sci-Fi part.
You know, a Vogon mining fleet rather than the construction boys.
Depending on what their looking for, slap a couple together and sweep the orbit at the densities ya need.
Leave the trash.
Next.

Or teraform Mars quick (heh) by slow parking a plutoid on her.
There's an atmosphere for ya sweetie, do you feel warmer?

How about planet killers?

Instead of throwing rocks at them, how about firing rocks at them ballisticly?
You know, bigger exit wound than entry wound, the whole nine.
Even winging 'em is nasty, and the pass through could take an atmosphere... (?)
(whole lotta if's to that last one... wouldn't be pretty though... last thing ya see and all)

Zelazney (sp?) talks about the rudiments of inter dimensional war.

Heinlein takes things to the i.

I'm growing reasonably sure that no one else has Objective rules for stuff like sieges or war.
My encyclopedias read the same words to you that they do to me.
If you have better data than me, great!
I LIKE to learn.
Part of the reason I keep messing with this stuff is that I'm almost always able (learning sessions aside) to draw something outta somebody that I find really interesting, or neat, or just plain funny.
I'm still running win 98.
I don't NEED anything else.
I'm still playing TFT.
What doesn't it cover?
It was meant as a universal system.
It just didn't get finished.
I'm-a gonna...

?

THAT'S! what else is locked up on that other notebook, CyberBox!

I'll bet'ch ya what I can drop the house room maps...

And why oh why did I use spread sheets for the inventory?

So little time, so much to do.
Don't stop, I intended those remarks exactly as I ordered them, no need to scratch that at all..., come along!

< sings >
There's no way of really knowing...
Which direction we are going...