Re: (TFT) Converting D&D Characters to TFT

Quoting Sgt Hulka <hulkasgt@yahoo.com>:
But converting it using the simple method I outlined, it's a 36-point character
with a minimum ST of 12 (broadsword). To accurately reflect its high
Intelligence you'd have to give it an IQ 13 (Alchemy). That leaves his DX at
11. So even though it's technically a 36-point character, its only as
combat-effective as a 31 point character. Then again, it saves against
illusions really well and you could cherry-pick some nice combat talents and
maybe give it a spell or two (like stone skin or blur) and say his longsword is bronze (2-1 damage). So maybe the system works, after all.

You may be going the wrong way. If the guy is as alchemist, he's got potions. And it's his shop, so he has it prepared. He can fight well enough, but that's not what is going to make him very effective. It's the potions and preparations that make him effective. I've done some stuff with the various Flying Buffalo books. What works best for me is to try to keep the flavor of the campaign and characters, while still keeping things fun for the system in use. Don't be afraid to change things completely if they're just not working. For example, I just can't see trying to do Runequest in TFT, because the RQ culture is expressed throughout the actual game mechanics.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com