RE: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1159

> From: mtapley@swri.edu

> As to whether the result will end up playable, I don't think that's

> realistic. The trick, in writing game rules, is to come up with the

> best balance between realism and playability.

Mark,

Somegames I want the player to be wielding a quantum sword that anything it touches automatically converts it's own heat to light and freezes just as you describe in the Maxwellian sense. And some games the players are the kind of people who wouldn't really find it magical unless the effects can be explained to this detail. In the end it is not complicated or too exotic, but easy to understand and most simple in it's operation.

The physics of metaphysics are best represented by Fractals and tFt is the best glossary of meta functions in the world.

A mountain half as tall as it is wide has a fractal roughness of 1/2

It will tend to have rocks with a roughness of 1/2

which tend to shed grit with a 1/2 roughness

this is a common meta measurement

this is half of the example

the other half is the use of tFt as a glossary

Say the group is reenacting the battle of the 5 armies from The Hobbit

Each of the 5 players rolls 3d6 x 10,000 for their number of men.

One brings 120,000, two 100,000 and one even 130,000.

The last brings 40,000. I can say to Jay

"Someone brought a halfling army"

cause ST = 4

See the word "human" is defined as "average" in ITL.

In my reality scape campaigns Jay and I could easily find ourselves

playing in a world made of air elementals for air elementals and we are playing

the "average" or human in this ecology of meaning, and start interacting in a free form way.

This is possible, while at the same moment being easy, precisely because we already know the
tFt.

What I was mentioning to Jay with the Eucaryotic cells is that two books may suffice, and not in the old "book of life" vs "book of death" way, and not in the more eastern "book of change" vs "book of taxes" way. But that the new is to use two books to create three books and then line up the "vs." part of the whole equation.

But before I describe that I want to mention the other direction, the one I heard Jay edging closer too. The one book. In that version, say life vs death are both recorded in the same book. The name is written if the entity is alive, and stuck out if dead, but there is only one book. A concept that I advise is better used as a device "inside" the campaign as it can be a powerful magic item of a meta concept many players will find easy to understand.

But as to "defining" campaigns and by this I refer to game rule construction, onto the new. Jay, you take the book of change and embed it as the directing nucleolus inside a cellular construct of the book of taxes. So the dept revenue is drawn out and pulled closed in a circle, say top person to bottom person in the organization and the entire perimeter is presented to the world. Hidden inside is the old gypsy soothsayer reading of the bones methodology of the hexeagrams and the book of change.

I name this cell "Astrology tax".

I could just as easily be done in the western tradition.  The book of death is drawn out into a circle.  Say call it the "wheel of death" and make a cyclic pattern of less and more favorable deaths each one of which somehow curses the world and causes the next one to occur in an escalating cycle until the whole thing starts over.  This is the perimeter it presents to the world.  Inside, directing from the well protected nucleolus is the book of life.

I name this cell "Death prediction"

So, Jay, using these two books one makes Melee, Wizard, and Labris.  So using the books of "Astrology tax" and "Death prediction" one writes the book of Worldly, and the book of Wize, and the book of Labors.  So, in conclusion, not one book (that is a magic item within the game) two books, used to write each of the published 3.  The last three books are the tangibles that should "be in the room" for players to "point to."

David Michael Grouchy II