Re: (TFT) Suggested house rules: Tool Elementals

Someone pointed out recently that there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 3 foot sword and a 3 foot club.
As a matter of fact, this is rather easy to back up with historical evidence.
TFT AM had already begun to address this with ST based club damage.

Of course the next step is to go ahead and acknowledge that all hand-held weapons of that type are 3rd class levers and generate damage accordingly.
The Scale-hex has quarter inch squares that are 3 and a quarter inches across, or about the span of a palm (4" officially).
So I can generate a "moment" for each square of the length of the blade, spread the moments along the bell curve of the dice with the sweet spot sitting on the mean for a trained (Talent) warrior and call it initial damage.

A 3 foot blade (average historical length from the Romans to the ancient Chinese) is 36" / 3.25" or about 11 Scale-hex squares.
2d6 is a spread of 2 - 12, or 11 possible results.
So it would seem that damage dice might better be used as an indicator of weapon length.

ST times the length of a Figures arm is equal to the weight of the weapon times its length for the minimum ST required to "use" a weapon (w/o expending fST just to lift the thing).
Or am I wrong about this?

So the weapon weight divided by ST is equal to the length of the Figures arm divided by the length of the weapon.
So we'll call it a broad sword.
Uh 2.5kg... Regan sure screwed my generation on THAT score.
Well will you look at THAT!?!
5.5125lbs.
Roughly.

So 2'/3' ~ 0.666 and should mean that the minimum ST for a 5.5lb sword is like 8.25... call it 9.
Or is that not fair?

So ST is reduced by a broadsword.
Of course the area covered is magnified.
See the sword 'the Hanging Pole'.

Next on the list is weapon effects.
The most basic examples are damage effects.
I call it Volume,Area,Line,Point damage.

So 2d damage indicates 3ft in length. (plus pommel)
This would make 3d a range of 16 moments.
16 * 3.23" ~ 4.3 ft, or basically 1 hex sts.
Also in range for 'hand and a half, or bastard sword.
(For a guy who sucks at math I can sure find the occasional insight nie?)
Now if it's a baseball bat say, I know it can't be longer than three and a half feet or wider than 2 3/4 inches and is commonly made of ash.
Where are my tables?
Okay, ash, ash, ah, ash!
11,000 - 13,000psi * 2.75"d ~33,000psi / 100lbs (1pt dam) = 330 pST at its thickest section and about 165 pST down at it's thinnest.

At 41lbs per cubic foot and a something less than 1/7th of a cubic foot in volume for my bat ( 1.375"(r) * 1.375" (r^2) * 3.1415 (pi) * 42" (height) is under 250 cubic inches which is about 1/7th of a cubic foot.
41lbs / 7 is right there at 5.5lbs weight.

Sorry for all of that but we have to know what it is we're talking about so this is a DEFINED club I'm trying for.
Once it's understood how to write the data it just becomes a matter of how to write it on the card.
So what is it that makes it a club.
Well, when it hits the force is spread out over the 11 cubic Scale-squares of 3.25" ^3.
I call this area damage.
On the visible, flexible, Scale man this can be shown as which square moments on the bat contact the Figure and where.

Items checked on location first.
Continue to pass breach damage through until stopped/dispersed (armor, bone) or until force passes through completely.

Line damage concentrates the damage along an edge.

Point damage concentrates the damage on a point (spear tip, foil tip, bullet).

Custom weapons anyone?

There's lot's and lot's of issues here.
For example.
A katana blade was about 3.5 feet long, with the sharp portion of the blade being the last 6 inches.
That's about 13 Scale-squares or moments long.
2 + 2 damage?
But the "sweet spot" is at the end.
In the above hypothetical bat the sweet spot (moment that the Talent trains to land) was at moment 6.
Statistically on our bell curve/dice roll this means that the deviation from the sweet spot on any hit is about 2.5 moments.
On a katana as described this would make half the deviations misses.
The sweet spot is more like 12 than 7.
Should I quantify this as a native penalty for katanas?
The mechanics give it the maximum cutting force if you catch your target with just that moment, but you must be very good.
Or VERY lucky.

If anyone likes where this is going I'll add Scale and speed.