Re: (TFT) Magic System

Like Marc, I don't see TFT magic as "broken", though of course there are major balance effects, and they are different from any other magic system. Having played with them in several TFT campaigns over many years, I actually really like TFT magic and enjoy not just the flavor of the interesting selection of spells and the logics behind them, but also the lack of easy healing magic, and the spells that can be very powerful but with wizards having interesting limits, too.

Clearly Wizard is the core of the system, and was designed and balanced mainly for arena combats with non-wizards included in the balance, which I like a lot compared to magic systems balanced so that magic is a lot more powerful than weapons in a single fight. Wizard was made without reference to Cidri and can be used in other worlds (e.g. Grail Quest).

Advanced Wizard was written as part of the campaign set and naturally has specific Cidri references. It's not meant to be generic like GURPS Magic is, though a skilled GM could pick, choose, adapt, scale, and add, to use it for another world.