From: Sgt Hulka <hulkasgt@yahoo.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2009 10:46:50 PM
Subject: (TFT) Vote on Initiative

Just to mix things up a bit, I've decided to determine the initiative of an upcoming combat not with a die roll, but with a vote on who "wins" the pre-combat trash talk. You guys decide! Who wins initiative?

Two Paladins, Sir Travis and Sir Rorschach, waylay travelers on "Hedonist Street". The Player-Characters seemed unintersted in convincing the Paladins that their intentions are noble, choosing instead to challenge the Paladins' manhood:

"I take it you are nobles? Then you must take great offense to my compatriot, here, in his shiny plate suit! We spit on your inbred, perfumed, silk stocking'd, ass-packing nobility. Come here and teach me your finer arts of dueling."

The Paladins responded:

"This rain can wash the dirt from your body, but it can not wash the stain from your soul. A storm is mere water; I offer a tempest of blood. Lay down your weapons and submit to a sharp-edged baptism. Mitra will decide if you are worthy of redemption."

To be clear, I'm making no claim that either of the challenges is particularly good. I'm just asking -- which is better? Who wins the pre-battle contest of intimidation and, by extension, initiative?