Re: (TFT) Action Report - DCG's "The Dark Vale"; also rules comments

----- Original Message ----- From: "PvK"
Subject: Re: (TFT) That cursed Baggensiss, we hates it we do.

Yes, he didn't identify himself as one, but the others did, and he acted like one, though it's also a good case, it seems to me, of an actual character, as opposed to an artificial RPG class.

Technically ITL can be looked at as a manual for tomb robbery... :-)

The Hobbit starts out with an elaborate race description of hobbits and other non-humans on the subject of habbits and degrees of _stealth_ and alertness. Which, TFT seems to have _replaced_ with built-in Missile Weapons & Thrown Weapons talents (before ITL existed). To model Tolkien hobbits, I would develop the stealth rules a bit and give them bonuses to silent movement and alertness, but probably not to missile weapons or thrown weapons (thrown weapons at most as a cultural skill, but not +3 DX for all ranged attacks on top of any skills they might also study).

I'll bet hobbits play lots of darts down at the pub...

For discussion purposes let's say that halfling means half human size or three feet. I keep thinking of the Calvin and Hobbes strip where his dad explains to Calvin that 2 points on a record move a two different speeds even though they make the same number of revolutions per minuet.
Now let's apply that to a hobbit Nolan Ryan throwing a baseball.
Everything else being the same the poor thing is throwing a basketball relative to his size.
So there's that.
Then there's that 1 foot long arm compaired to a humans 2 foot arm.
Hitting the target isn't the same as hitting the target hard, although a dart to the eye probably dosen't need tons of force to cause some problems.

Anyway, the point is that while Bilbo didn't exactly steal
*everything* not nailed down, he definitely qualifies as a thief as
well as a burglar.

Thinking about this I think that Bilbo only burggled from thieves.

Trolls?
Stole from travelers on the road I believe.

Gollum?
"It's my birthday"

The Wood Elves?
...?
I think the loyalty to friends trumps the bread and water needed to live while figuring out how to escape.
Should the Elves have held Thorin's party in the first place?

Smaug?
I'll just ask who did that GREAT voice from the Rankin Bass The Hobbit? I just saw the fellow who did their fantastic Gollum in the movie The Burbs with Tom Hanks.

If I'm not susposed to call Indinana Jones a tomb robber then let's not throw prejoratives at poor old Bilbo.
JMHO

In the middle of the earth in the land of the Shire
lives a brave little hobbit whom we all admire.
With his long wooden pipe,
fuzzy, woolly toes,
he lives in a hobbit-hole and everybody knows him

Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
He's only three feet tall
Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
The bravest little hobbit of them all

Now hobbits are a peace-lovin' folks you know
They don't like to hurry and they take things slow
They don't like to travel away from home
They just want to eat and be left alone
But one day Bilbo was asked to go
on a big adventure to the caves below,
to help some dwarves get back their gold
that was stolen by a dragon in the days of old.

Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
He's only three feet tall
Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
The bravest little hobbit of them all

Well he fought with the goblins!
He battled a troll!!
He riddled with Gollum!!!
A magic ring he stole!!!!
He was chased by wolves!!!!!
Lost in the forest!!!!!!
Escaped in a barrel from the elf-king's halls!!!!!!!

Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
The bravest little hobbit of them all

Now he's back in his hole in the land of the Shire,
that brave little hobbit whom we all admire,
just a-sittin' on a treasure of silver and gold
a-puffin' on his pipe in his hobbit-hole.