Video Games (was Re: (TFT) back from the olympics)

At 15:23 -0400 3/27/10, David wrote:
Healthier than video games?  That's if you buy into the rhetoric that
violent conflict inside of a video game is un-healthy.

I've been playing video games, of all sorts, for the past 29 years. It's my hobby - my devotion - my passion - and my career. So far, I
have not become a crazed homicidal maniac, or exhibited any kind of
antisocial tendencies whatsoever - I've never been in jail for violence,
hell, I don't even know how to really fight very well.

So, when I see sweeping generalizations like this, it makes me wonder
what sort of evidence you are using to back up the notion that violence
in video games is unhealthy.

David's right, I made a sweeping generalization. I think it's fair to say that almost *no* statement could fairly be applied to "video games" in general, because there is such an incredibly wide range of them.

And, I have to point out, there are a lot of games in that range that even *I* consider pretty healthy.

	Wii Fit
(well, duh...)

	Dance Dance Revolution (and clones),
...but I have reservations about the sex-centric videos backing a lot of the songs. Ok, yeah, I'm a parent....

	The Adventures of Cookie and Cream
You can't get *anywhere* without cooperation. Good teamwork practice.

	Gran Turismo (whole series, I have IV)
*Really* realistic driving simulation. I'd bet a GT4 player who suddenly drives onto an icy patch of road is *far* better at recovering than your average driver.

	Star Wars Bombad racing
Getting 4 players together, and interacting, is a good thing, I think. Similar applies to many 4-player games (Shrek 2, etc.), as long as they encourage the people to *talk* to each other and don't have deplorable objectives.

	Frequency and Amplitude
Ear rhythm training, musical concepts

BUT.... I do pretty much buy into the rhetoric (and studies, as John pointed out) that indicate that long-term exposure to violent images and plots does encourage violent behavior. There are explicit links sometimes, but generally speaking this is a statistical thing and hard to trend or prove (thankfully, there are not a whole lot of data points showing really extreme behavior).

FWIW, I think the same thing applies to movies and TV; video games have what seems like the exacerbating factors that they can go on for a *long* time, well into what would normally be sleep-time, and that they reward the participant for his or her input. If people *can* be trained to commit violent acts, it's a little hard to think of a more effective way to do that than some of the games out there (Grand Theft Auto springs to mind here). Repetition, hypnotic effects, sleep deprivation to remove judgement, reward for (bad) behavior - it *sounds* to me like the perfect way to brainwash someone into being antisocial.

Both video games and movies can have what seems to me to be the undesirable trait of exciting strong emotions while not providing for any physical outlet to express the emotions. That's worthwhile in some cases, if the emotions are *positive* ones and the internalized message will lead to a happier existence. "Chariots of Fire" is a good example here.

I truly applaud the history teacher John mentioned. Physical activity, use of imagination, cooperation, human interaction and discussion - perfect! FRP (paper) games like TFT hit on all but the physical activity, and even there there's fidgeting, walking around the table, grabbing chips or soda, rolling dice, and so on. FRP video games generally miss almost all of that. Multi-player (on the same console) video games do pick up on the cooperation and vocal discussion, but you don't generally have time to really look the other player in the eye and try to truly understand him (or her), so it loses a lot of the benefit. Multi-player (over the internet) video games lose even that. Almost no video game leaves anything for the imagination.

So what I did I mean by the generalization that TFT is "healthier"? The reward structure in most video games is very rigid, and often it's keyed to how many bad guys you kill (or how efficiently you kill them). In TFT, the same is true, *but* there's the referee's option to award experience for good play. I try to make sure when I referee that a solution that saves lives gets rewarded at least as well as one that concentrates on hack-n-slash. Generally, video games simplify that option out of existence.

BTW, I'm really glad David can play video games and keep it straight that they are games and not become *anti*-social. I think with many games, it's almost impossible not to become *a*-social (in other words, the quantity and quality of human interactions suffer in proportion to the time spent on the console); at least that has been my experience, and I do feel sad for anybody that suffers a serious loss of human interaction due to excessive video game (or movie or TV) usage. I think that includes a *lot* of people today.

TFT (and other paper games) don't really trigger intense emotions, do allow physical movement, require the use of imagination, encourage social interaction *including emotional involvement* with the other players, and require cooperation both in planning and executing. I think of that as being healthier than video games, by and large.

I do think there are a lot of video games that are, or could be, beneficial, as my list above indicates. I have helped organize video-gaming sessions for years - it gets all my old high-school buddies together, we swap stories and have a great time (lots of human interaction) in between turns of SpaceWard Ho! or bouts of Marathon. But recently, I've been moving back toward TFT, for the reasons above.

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635