Re: (TFT) Is this a decade of thought? SO SAD!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Tapley"
At 19:36 -0400 4/15/10, Jay (reasonably) wrote:
Hi Mrs. T.

er, that would be *Miss* T (my daughter).

:-)

My goodness!
How well spoken she is.
My apologies Miss T.

At 19:36 -0400 4/15/10, Jay wrote:
Is the friction twixt science and religion really there?

I think they are not in conflict, but orthogonal.

I see where she gets it from... straight-angles indeed...

Spirituality should
address the things that can't be experimented on, proven or disproven
- by-definition matters of faith. Science gets the disprovable and
provable matters.

I'm with you here.

Clearly, Earth history shows that matters *can* move from one sphere
to the other ("and yet, it moves!"). I claim that means we have
gotten neither our science nor our spirituality "right" yet.

Nice point.
I'd like to mention that in a campagin that allows research this situation is a good thing.
Astrology becomes Astronomy, Alchemy becomes Chemistry, and so on.
Of course, this implies that you have to have a pretty solid grasp of Chemistry to begin with... I actually find this easier with magic because I'm imagining it outta whole cloth so to speak.
I have a MUCH harder time with near-future tech.
Take the issue of power or energy requirements for a socieity.
A culture that has their main power source as campfires is only gonna get so much done in a day vs. a socieity that uses a coal-hydrogen hybrid power plant. Resources are a big limiting factor here, but there is still the "how many ways can one skin a cat?" question. Without the Hindenburg disaster we may well have gone a diffrent direction with air travel, see the militarys current dirgible transport projects for examples (or R.A.H.'s Job). Allowing for those kind of divergences, or orthogonic paths, is an intresting problem.

Margaret's question is still a good one though, even if my
orthogonality characterization applies. If in Cidri (or wherever),
demons are unreliable, not subject to experiment, test, provable or
disprovable - are they a "science"? If magic is reliable in that it
always works the same, can it be a matter of spirituality? I suppose
there *could* be overlap ... I guess I still have neither my (Cidri)
"science" nor my (Cidri) "spirituality" worked out "right"...

I think that alot of these problems become clearer with clearer imagination.
What does it actually mean to "Teleport"?
There's the tesseract, 4d fold idea.
On the other hand, they might just be capable of moving really, really fast.
Maybe the spell works one way and the demon ability works the other way.
Choices like that make a big diffrence I'd think.
One "Teleport" allows movement into any open space reguardless of topography, the other dosen't for starters. It's fine to have just a generic teleport result for something like an arena combat, but waiting till the question comes up in the middle of a campaign to define it can cause real problems.

To focus stuff like this, I use the idea of a Timeline.
I basicly choose a culminating point on the Timeline and work backwards by assuming that the story would play out like this without any players involved to find a natural starting point for my campaigns. Players either assist or oppose culmination or ignore the larger campaign world to the point that the culminating point can be a moot consideration.

"Unless it is strategically decisive, every offensive operation
will sooner or later reach a point where the strength of the attacker no
longer significantly exceeds that of the defender, and beyond which
continued offensive operations therefore risk overextension,
counterattack, and defeat. In operational theory, this point is called
the culminating point. The art of attack at all levels is to achieve
decisive objectives before the culminating point is reached. Conversely,
the art of defense is to hasten the culmination of the attack, recognize
its advent, and be prepared to go over to the offense when it arrives."
US Army Field Manual
(FM) 100-5, Operations.

This is a recognization of Clausewitz long after the fact, and he goes on to mention that when the attacker has overwhelming strength and resolve, the point occurs only as an imaginary locus far behind the opponent's main battle lines. Conversely, when the attacker is hopelessly weak, the point coincides with the line of departure.

During the 1987 Wimbledon tennis matches, Pam Shriver, having been thoroughly trounced in the semifinals, said afterward that the turning point (read culminating point) of the match occurred when she walked out onto the court.

One example of a culmination point might be the date that the dark lord launches his invasion of so and so. Another way of describing a culmination point is to assign requirements to reach the point, things like build 2 cities, buy 3 colours of civ cards, own 180pts of civ cards, etc. This can at least help with things like answers to fundamental questions by setting the scope of the campagin on the Timeline sufficiently far away from those issues. I probably don't have to worry too much about an alchemist (a spiritual approach?) creating a super stable element with a very high atomic number.

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology and vice versa.