Re: (TFT) What does +1 mean... exactally?!?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John"

I am with PVK on this one. That sort of thing is what talking is for. The player and the GM discuss it, either before hand, or when it matters.

Hi John,
Thanks for the thoughts.
I feel that there are a few things that can be "designed" to help keep weirdness like this on a beforehand basis rather than showing up as an issue when it matters, i.e. in the middle of gameplay.

Let's say the player has enterred a Sweeney-Todd-like shaving contest, confident that his expert barber skills, along with his precision crafted extra sharp plus one dagger, will lead him to an easy victory over his impressively credentialled opponent.

Ad he explains his belief in the sharpness-holding edge of his dagger the GM gets to either concur (what I would do, for a well made blade - magic is different), or explain that the edge keeping is good, but is not the driver of the bonus (assuming I have some other mechanism in mind, which is somehow important to the game, otherwise, why spoil the shave off).

As to a magic plus one, it just magically adds to the damage, or makes it magically easier to hit. No need for any further detail, as far as I am concerned.

I don't want to put words in your mouth here but it seems this solution leaves the player without any kind of reward for clever and creative thought.
The +1 only applies to hit or damage, cute thought but no.
Now roll for the shave-off contest.

ughhh

Much better perhaps is to say from the get-go that "Sting" gets her magical properties via a magical aura enveloping the blade that glows a shimmering blue when enemies are about (maybe a 5MH rad? but you don't have to tell the players all the information w/o them "testing" stuff); otherwise the blade is simply a well made elvish long-knife.

I'm not saying that your concern is not a real one for you, an possibly others, just that it has never come up for me.

Sure, it's an "odd" point.
I play with some oddballs...
lol

We like to talk about stuff, so it gets talked out. In the last game, the black iron dwarves made better weapons, due to the quality of the iron, so that's where the plus one dam came from, stronger iron, it also held a better edge, especially for the plus 2 dam. and plus one to hit is due to the balance imbued by the noble dwarvish craftsmen. So for me, the answers are generally clear.

Ouch.
Okay, Fe in an element.
I think you mean steal?
Or are you talking refining methods?
I decided to do my best to tie "rules" to common refrence materal when I started this... uhhhh.... rant.

From: PvK

Interesting point.

In all of the games I remember playing in, the GM was generally the authority on everything, with the exception of things the players invented themselves,

Hi Peter.

I think that if I want to do things like hand the players "political power" I'm actually giving them control over areas of the map like cities and the agracultural area needed to support them then I'm realisticly handing them GM-ship of those areas. Actually I figure players could run Figures through adventures in the areas they control w/o me having to worry about it. I just need to know the "state" of the players holdings at given moments on the timeline.
I'm trying to develop "The Dark Lord" as a kind of generic evil AI.
Whatever the players are trying to build, TDL is the direct opposet and is on an agressive track.
If it works on pen and paper AND computer...