(TFT) First Adventure

Hey everybody,
The first adventure in the psuedo 1800s setting went well (the next one is tomorrow) .... the apparently abandoned base with the hobgoblin warband hiding in it (with some cool mechanical gadgets... an alarm system, and pass cards hidden in playing cards for keys...) didn't go to well for the team, but they got saved by my GMing (the mission was designed for more players, but only 3 could make it, so i decided to ease it up on them by making a few hobgoblins stupid enough to fight over who gets to steal from the corpses...) it was kinda cool for the goblin sergeants (more intelligent) to have revolvers... so that went well. So did using playmobils and heroscape for models.

I've got two questions, though....

1) Anyone remember a little known TFT computer game (not official, i believe) from 1985? It was called Tomb of Terror, I had it on my Amiga.... because it was designed and sold by my dad (an early programmer). I'm sure it was sold, he still has the ads in a magazine he sold it through... its kinda cool, i got it transplanted to my Mac. Me and him are working on an updated version that allows multiplayer, if anyone is interested.

2) How do you guys feel about trying to save the player's characters as I did above? generally i'm a pretty cold hearted GM, letting my players die if they get unlucky or make a mistake.... but sometimes (like above) i change things (not the rules, just little bits of the scenario) to try and give them a bit of an advantage (one of the 3 characters died anyway in the above situation).