From: raito@raito.com
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:55:29 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT and the SCA in your front yard

Quoting mejobo@comcast.net:
> 5 seconds is pretty well represented in TFT... its a long time, but
> so it is in
> TFT.

It's a lifetime in combat.

> A 4 foot hex being too big... by what standards? Surely not by range or
> movement... if anything, they are too small for range.

Too big for a single person. If you space people 4 feet apart, it's
quite easy to move between them, something TFT does not allow.

> HTH is clearly what you mean.... Sure, someone can kinda "step into"
> your hex,
> but thats not HTH. Its all about imagination.... in TFT you stand in two
> separate hexes, but within that combat there is lots of stepping and
> thrusting,
> which, of course, blurs the hex positions of a figure. HTH is when a figure
> jumps onto another, knocking him over, and starts struggling on the ground.

I disagree. HTH, according to Fiore, is whenever you are close enough
to your opponent to touch them with your hand.

> If you don't fall to the ground, by my reasoning, then its not HTH, its still
> covered by normal combat. Once you do fall to the ground, whether or
> not you are
> holding your weapon is somewhat irrelevant- the combat is no longer thrusting
> and slashing, its grabbing and wrestling. The type of combat is different.

Au contraire, according to the period manuals. Then again, they always
avoided falling to the ground. And to the medievals, it's always about
thrusting and slashing, unless it's about grabbing and breaking, which
is almost more easily done with a weapon in hand.

> Obviously, TFT is abstracted.... the above things aren't totally
> realistic, they
> are just close enough. But they get the job done and get fairly realistic
> results.... the Strength as Hitpoints system is a good example.

I agree.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com