Re: (TFT) Goblin port

Jay,
There was a lot of iron working in North Yorkshire (not much gold afaik).

We visited Saltburn just south of Redcar.
There is a stream there flowing bright orange with ochre from abandoned iron ore mines.

The following may be of use for mineral workings:
http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/

I'm not clear if you are setting your game in Roman Britain or Pseudo-medieval Britain? Either way, things were very different then.

Your use of modern maps may be confusing things.
For example, most of England's large forested areas were planted during WW1 by the Forrestry commission. (We couldn't get pit props from the Baltic so had to grow our own.) These are maturing nicely now the coal mines are all closed.

Many of our large modern cities were practically insignificant before the industrial revolution. Many towns and settlements which were of great importance in the medieval world are barely notable now. This is particularly true for religious settlements. Abbeys and monastic settlements were of immense importance as land owners and economic developments before Henry VIII fell out with the Pope.

Saxton's map will give you a better idea of population distribution for late-medieval / tudor Yorkshire.
There's a legible copy here:
http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/search/controlservlet?PageId=Detail&DocId=100946&PageNo=2

John Speed's maps from 1610 are also widely available and have a bit more detail including some town plans.

If you want to add Castles, Roman forts or Hill Forts to your map, Google is your friend...

The Gatehouse: The comprehensive online gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man:
http://homepage.mac.com/philipdavis/home.html

English Heritage:
http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/

Early British Kingdoms:
http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/index.html

Roman Roads:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roman/Topics/Engineering/roads/home.html

TOPOGRAPHIA ANTIQVA:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roman/_Texts/home.html

Also, WE DON'T HAVE COUNTS. They're furriners.
English counties were the province of an Earl or Duke.
Except Durham which is a Bishopric. (province of the Prince Bishops)
York and Lancaster are Duchies.
Her Majesty the Queen is the Duke (not Duchess) of Lancaster.
Prince Andrew is the Duke of York, Sarah Fergusson (Fergie) is the Duchess of York.
Gawd bless'em.

I'll be glad to help out any way I can.

Regards,

Chris