(TFT) Re: How to hit a ball

From: "Jay Carlisle" <Jay_Carlisle@charter.net>
.... First he roughly defines a bats "sweet spot" as follows;
"When the ball hits the bat, it produces a translation that pushes the hands
back and a rotation that pulls the hands forward. When a ball is hit at the
center of percussion (CoP or sweet spot) for the pivot point, these two
movements cancel out, and the batter feels no sting."...

Great definition and discussion of mechanics!

Before I start writing about how I differentiate the 90 degrees of arc of
the wrist rotation of a bat swing to integrate the force of a given roll to
the right of the success point on the bell curve I'd be interested to see
how far off folks think I am with all of this.

In terms of accurate description of physiology and the physics and mechanics of armed combat, I think this is probably a pretty useful model for really high-energy swings.

I don't know to what extent the maximum-energy-delivered swing plays a role in real combat, compared to the surprise move that deposits just a *little* energy at a vulnerable point. I think some of the other regulars can probably comment on that in a much more informed manner than I can.

IMO people in general have a real distaste for math.

Sad but true, in many cases!

C'est la vie, but I've got this nagging part of my thought process that says
that using strong and sound mathematics to "design" the game helps to
achieve two different things that I feel are important to a "good-game".
First, and most importantly, I feel that strong mathematical underpinnings
helps' keep the "rules" "fair" for players and also easier for the GM to
judge.

Agreed.

Secondly, and more personally, I feel that a math framework helps to
"educate" younger players by providing more than a simple knowledge of what
particular equipment / stat combos are most effective as a player masters
the rules by implying an understanding of more basic principals (basic being
the best "I" can do) behind the advantages of said set-up.

That depends. If the math is "hidden" by clever design, they might well take advantage of it without ever learning it. If it's necessary to learn it to play the game well, it might easily scare them off of the game.

It's still gonna be REALLY simplified but it's going to be pointing players
in the right direction for learning rather than;
Cutlass 2d-2 dam, ST 10, wt 1.5
Shortsword 2d-1 dam, ST 11, wt 2
Broadsword 2d dam, ST 12, wt 2.5
The dice should be a tool to model the situation.

I'll look forward to seeing how it works out, but there's certainly a balance to be struck in the design area (of the game as well as of the bat).

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635