Re: (TFT) Pirates! ships

I wish to clarify on that last point:

I didn't mean that ship type didn't matter... I think i'm gonna go into perhaps 20-30 specific boat types (lets see, a coupla variations on a sloop, frigate, many types of galleons, fluyts, etc) and then allow different special advantages and disadvantages and such... but once you started to get into details about what angles would the cannon best splinter the wood, or which types of wood were which, the fact is, its best to keep it simple. Sure, a certain degree of detail is good- a few wood types, perhaps generalizing.... two wood types really similar? just group them into one (and let the role players decide which sounds cooler).

So you don't wanna be so detailed that its unwieldy and players need to study hours a night to get the facts down, and the system would end up generalizing them anyway. But you also don't wanna be so abstract that interesting tactics, basic tactics, and player skill isn't involved.

Finding the balance is the key.