Re: (TFT) world on a "standard" (?) table map...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Tapley"
Subject: Re: (TFT) world on a "standard" (?) table map...

Actually I can see waterfalls on floating islands existing in rare
circumstances.

Cool things on this planet:

Angel Falls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Falls
Old Faithful geyser: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Faithful
Calving glaciers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidewater_glacier_cycle
Limnic eruptions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limnic_eruption

Given all that, I find it a little scary to say almost anything is
"impossible", although conditions for all of these things are pretty
rare.
--

I have several books on 'natural wonders' in my library.
Hex A1 has at least three in the first book I put my hand to.

As far as floating islands go I have no problem with 'em at all if they have been thought out well.
Perhaps the islands are mainly big chuncks of unobtainium?
Of course, that would beg the question of why the mineing operations didn't focus on the islands...

As far as the water goes, it appears to me that a volume of tens of thousands of cubic feet of water per second per fall is gonna be needed to get in the ballpark of whats being pictured in the flick.
http://www.world-waterfalls.com/database.php?s=N&t=W&orderby=avevolume&sortLimit=5000

Maybe there's a kindda 'great lake' beneath the floating islands and there's some kind of 'natural Gate' effect created by the presence of such large amounts of unobtainium?

Players are sent on a mission to provide protection and support for a small team of geologists tasked with mapping and prospecting the lake bed. After reaching the lake and deploying a research submersable the team moves out into the lake, become caught in the massive currents involved in the cycle and get pulled through the gate and suddenly find themselves in a small pond on top of an island quickly heading for the edge of the falls.