Re: (TFT) TFT, numbers and crunchy bits. What a campaign says.

Quoting Rick Smith <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>:
  I've read what you've written about Thief being
a full D&D character class and I half agree.  The
thing is that there are lots of talents for fighters
and not so many talents for Thieves.
  If it takes 4 or 5 memory to learn all there is
to know about Thieving and 50 memory to learn all
there is to know about fighting, it is pretty
obvious what the game system is oriented on.  This
bugged me and I added a bunch more talents for
Naturalists, and Thieves and Mechanicers, etc.

Let's see :

Detect Traps(2), Alertness(2), Acute Hearing(3), Silent Movement(2), Recognize Value(1), Climbing(1), Remove Traps(1), Thief(2), Spying(3), Assess Value(2), Master Theif(2), Disguise(2). Not a bad list (23 IQ), and doesn't count Spells. Admittedly, the career track is a bit narrower than for a fighter. But a thief will probably have a couple Talents not on the list, like some sort of weapon. And fighters like archers probably won't take half the Talents on a straight fighter list. And like all TFT 'classes', you can specialize. A con man, for example, would probably take things like Charisma. A guy who specialized in industrial espionage might take Literacy and languages. Etc...
  Some people like to play with TFT as written and
some people like to add to it.  I've got (totally
unplaytested rules) for spells up to IQ 35.  I've
never had a PC or NPC take those spells, but I
like the fact that there is something better to
aim for.

And this is why I like TFT. Talents and Spells can be added. Just try to add ones that are appropriately powered. An 'I own the world' spell @ IQ 8 and 1 ST isn't right. I do fudge the Spell research a bit from what the rules say. The character works out the spell effect. Then the GM determines IQ, ST, duration, area, etc. The character does not know this. If, for example, the character has insufficient IQ to research the spell, their research never comes to fruition. I also allow new Talents to be researched in the same way.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com