Re: (TFT) Arneson created D&D, creating characters, dungeons, etc.

I had read an interview:

-- Arneson was running a military campaign where the
players had kingdoms and raised troops to fight each
other.  Each side improved their castles and defenses,
built roads, etc.

-- As a lark, to add variety, he had the players run
their chief generals as individual characters.  They
went down to fight monsters under Darkmoor castle to
help a friend.

-- Thus he created the standard tropes of D&D.  He
had people write up individual characters, created
the first dungeon, created the idea of leveling up
with experience points and character classes.

I followed his career closely after that.
-- TSR tried to avoid paying him his agreed royalties
for years and publicly slandered his contributions,
(tho rarely in print).  He had to fight several
law suits with TSR to get his share of the royalties
for D&D which (in the first edition) he was listed as
a co-creator.

-- When WotC took over the rights to D&D, they invited
him in and voluntarily paid him an undisclosed sum as
they felt that he still had not properly received fair
treatment.

I consider Dave Arneson to be the creator of my hobby
and am sad I never got the chance to meet him.

Warm regards, Rick.