Re: (TFT) Sports stuff

On Apr 17, 2011, at 1:12 AM, Jay Carlisle wrote:

I have a strong suspicion that the whole 5 second turn resulted from a trained archers assumed average rate of fire.
You might as well call that a hunch but I'm still making it.
The data dosen't seem to be wrong... just the RPG visuals.
It's like TFT gladiators are on herion and only come to for about a second of action every 5 seconds.

I'd sort of noticed the same thing, just from time spent whacking things with sticks. You can whack a lot of times in 5 seconds if you're fast. So our guess is that 1 turn, in melee combat, actually represents several whacks / thrusts / dodges / feints / parries, and the roll vs. DX is to see whether any of your attacks actually made contact. This appears to be borne out by the rule that any attack against someone who can't move (given examples are asleep, chained to the wall, under a Freeze spell) is an automatic hit. In an ideal system, a character with higher DX would be harder to hit, but adding that would only make battles take longer...

- Meg