Re: (TFT) Sports stuff

On Apr 18, 2011, at 9:46 PM, Jay Carlisle wrote:

One eighth of a mile is 660 feet or 82.5 hexes which is a furlong.
The furlong is a unit of agricultural measure describing how long a furrow is in 1 acre.

So if you decide to plow 1 acre, that means you made 660 feet of furrow? Given that an acre is 43, 560 square feet, that's not very heavy coverage. And historically, an acre was the amount of land one yoke of oxen could plow in a day. They could only drag the plow 660 feet in a day? I knew oxen were slow, but dang...

Wait, I just noticed something. 660^2 = 435600 = 10 x 43560. So 1 square furlong = 10 acres.

Dang it, Jay, your obsession is catching ;-)

- Meg