(TFT) +/- 3 vs. +/- 1d6

What is the difference between adding a direct +/- modifier to a roll
compared to adding a die to the roll?
The short answer is probabilities and its something that I think gets
ignored in this ruleset a lot.
The simple average result on a d6 is 3.5.
So giving a modifier of +/- 3 is pretty close to nullifying a full die +/-
on average.
Adding a full die onto a roll is a bit different.
On average its the same, but in the moment the chance is there.
A single roll is not as subject to averages so to speak
Generally I assign +/- mods to physical conditions apart from Figure skill
or action and use added dice for more difficult actions on the players part.
So conditions like fog, mud, steepness of grade, etc. would be +/- mods
while attempting a forward flip 2 hexes, landing, scooping up a couple of
knives, and throwing them get lots of extra dice against the check.
The mud is there regardless of what you do, ergo the +/- mod, but the
cartwheel flourish to reach the hex is a player choice that goes above and
beyond the mud so Ill give em an extra die or two and see if they hit the
move.
What do you guys do with this?