Re: (TFT) Mars - Water is cold

Sorry for the late reply.

A number of people have said that Mars' atmosphere
is a 'high grade laboratory vacuum' and that water
would boil furiously at its summer standard
temperature and pressure.

This is wrong.  Mars has from 0.6 to 1.2% of Earth's
atmospheric pressure.  That is far from a 'high grade..'
etc.  Second, water on Mars would not boil furiously,
it is too cold.  In the highlands it will evaporate,
in the low lands water is stable.  However, the air
is DRY.  So any sort of wind will eventually evaporate
any surface water.

Also brines are completely stable on Mars during
summer daytime temperatures.  Salts lower the melting
point, pushing liquid brines away from the triple
point of water.  (So rather than the temperature and
pressure allowing ice, water and vapor to be stable,
we would just have liquid and vapor being in
equilibrium.)

Anyway the new NASA images that people are talking
about are pretty much a smoking gun that ground
water, broke out from a cliff, ran for a distance
down hill and soaked into sand and evaporated.  Or
to be precise, it was likely brines that did so.

Warm regards, Rick.