Re: (TFT) Jobs table: 100,000 simulated soldiers and farmers

On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:16 PM, raito@raito.com wrote:

Quoting Joey Beutel <mejobo@comcast.net>:
So, regardless of whether or not it actually has an effect on anyone's
campaigns (though it does, because it artificially increases
character's stats VERY quickly, much faster than adventuring will
unless adventuring is a full time job... in which case I can see it

Not necessarily. Many campaigns don't play out long enough for aging to have any effect.
Right, but it definitely affects campaigns that are long enough to use aging or jobs.
being about equivalent), it clearly isn't a very good model to work
from. People live for a VERY long time (naturally- if you think that
the job related deaths could include natural causes like disease,
which I would, then its not as messed up... but still people's life
expectancy is strange) or die young (very frequently!) and become gods
rather quickly. They also tend to be better at a rather old age than
in their prime.

I guess I see it as their prime is at an older age. Hmm...
I wonder what it would be like to use this sort of information literally. As in:

Adventurers are an underclass, because they die young and without as many attributes as their 'working' counterparts. If your 'prime is defined as the age where one has the most attributes, is adolescence delayed a few decades? And what effect on society?

And still no one (except me) seems to have brought up the effects of having access to Youth potions and the like, which really skew things (and why my campaign is structured the way it is). Now it's entirely possible that, for the rich and powerful, there simply is no way to naturally die (and even then, there's the possibility of being raised). Yet the XP keep on coming. What's that going to do to the status quo?

Basically, if your campaign just uses that data as fact, you are representing a god like species that lives rather long, has a late prime, and can reach high abilities (godlike, even).

If you have a campaign where most people aren't like that, and its just that the rich with potions and such can attain similar results (better, in fact) it basically means you can buy your way into being a god. Buying a stairway to heaven, and all that.

Most campaigns, I don't think, have enough 'high fantasy' in them to sustain that sorta thing, but it could make a cool special case even in the lowest fantasy settings.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com