(TFT) Death Test I

Greetings All,
Played Melee in early 80s, buying the little boxes at my local hobby shop. After SJ left Metagaming, we moved on to GURPS, and my TFT items have been neglected ever since (to the extent I've no idea where any of them are). In honor of my 25th HS graduation this year, I decided to indulge in some purposeful nostalgia. I've downloaded the TFT items from Brainiac, and am now playing around with just Melee.

After some arena combat, I sent a group of four into DT1. They got through four rooms OK, but in the fifth room I lost one to a '4' hit, and then in room 5 the rest got wiped out. It seems to me that while my characters had decent gear and experience, they didn't have the advantage they needed to survive multiple combats and a little luck on the part of the attackers. They've about 26pts on average (ST13, DX13, no IQ), and 2-4 pts of armor. They've solid DX and are usually adjusted better than their adversaries.

Are these four too weak to make it through? And is DT1 more about finding a path through the maze and surviving rather than clearing it out? I may have taken an approach that was too aggressive.

Thanks for any thoughts / advice.
Alex =====