Re: (TFT) Death Test I (spoilers, if you care)

On Wednesday, September 21, 2011, Mark Tapley wrote:

>        From a character POV, it would take great bravery to drop your
shield as you were running up to an angry bear, but it could very well be
worth it.

Yeah, this is a TFT fail area here (and D&D and so forth and so on).
As much as I dislike the Deadliest Warrior programe they do make some points
and one of the things I've noticed is each shield I've seen can be used
pretty effectively as a damage dealer as well as serve as additional armour.
Shield Rush doesn't quite take that into account.
And just in case anyone's a fan, I mention that I dislike DW because of the
"tone" the show takes.
They present it like it's very scientific and authoritative rather than what
it actually is which is speculative.
I'm not saying that they don't get strong results sometimes but acting like
some yahoo from southern Cali who futzes around with ancient equipment on
the weekends is a benchmark for a well trained warrior of the day for
instance does not a bell curve make.
The last time I came across the thing they we're doing Zombies vs. Vampires
and the whole thing just came across as flat stupid, at least the 5 or so
minutes I bothered to watch.
Again it was the tone of it all.
It's like the Ancient Aliens programe.
THAT one simply pisses me off.
"Ancient astronaut THEORISTS" my sweet ass.
The "THEORY" is that somehow these aliens are able to come from another
star-system (they never mention the (ick) stronger chance that they would
come from our own system) to promptly start smacking into earth and building
strange monuments like the pyramids, demonstrating that they are not only
extremely poor pilots but incompetent arch-itects as well who couldn't even
build a vaulted arch.
The tone here is more than just smug, it's down right misleading as I've had
to deal with players who think claims presented on the show are somehow
factual.
As it turns out, large portions of the pyramids could well be concrete
technology.
http://www.bonisteelml.org/ConcretePyramid1.htm
As for moving massive blocks.
http://www.youtube.com/user/maoutsaou?feature=mhee#p/f/10/pCvx5gSnfW4
IMO just like the Pyramid builders may have run out of materials for
concrete the timbers of sufficient dimensions to raise massive blocks in a
local area certainly won't last forever.
I can see Moai "walking" across Rapa Nui guided by a single "wizard" using a
method akin to the one used to move the barn.
It seems it's my wont to ramble the past couple of days.
Anyway, I absolutely despise Ancient Aliens.
And most shields have a maneuver or two that can slap the bejez outta you
and do some real damage.
Even a solid punch with a buckler.