Re: (TFT) Death Test I (spoilers, if you care)

Personally, I flanked a bear and the one in front (eligible to be attacked) would Defend, while the other attacked with +2 DX for Side. The Bears are DX11, very little chance to hit with four dice. I believe one did manage to but with armor the character only took a few points of dmg. I like the idea of Disengaging, but the bear still gets a free attack with three normal dice. Even with a small penalty for a higher DX of the Disengaging character, it's not as good as a 4D6 attack penalty.

-----Original Message----- From: dwtulloh61@cox.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:09 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Cc: Mark Tapley
Subject: Re: (TFT) Death Test I (spoilers, if you care)

Actually, I think the key to getting through this room is starting with
initiative.  You can rush up to and attack the southern bear and, IF
you can knock him down, you can attack the other bear while the
first is standing up, etc.

They are both 30ST bears, you "only" need to do 16 damage in a
turn to knock one down.

---- Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:
At 1:06 -0400 9/21/11, Neil wrote:
>In the middle, theree's the Gold room with 2 bears. That's tough stuff,
>but at least you start with initiative. Probably best to start shooting
>at them, and get your high-damage guy into a position where he can
>knock them down. But that's 60 ST you have to do to them. Whoever's in
>front of them definitely needs to defend -- 2 dice is no laughing
>matter.

Among other DT gems of tactics. I'd just like to amplify that
against a Bear, "disengage" is a really good tactic for a figure with
adjDX 12+ or adjDX 11+ and who just won the roll to act first. On any
turn after the first, the high-DX figure can let the bear move up (or
even shift up 1 himself) to become engaged, then spend his action
disengaging so the bear has nothing to hit. This delaying
(bear-baiting?) tactic can let the other 3 concentrate on the other
bear for several turns.
From a character POV, it would take great bravery to drop
your shield as you were running up to an angry bear, but it could
very well be worth it.