Re: (TFT) Jobs table: 100,000 simulated soldiers and farmers

On Saturday, September 24, 2011, Margaret Tapley wrote:

>> Why red and yellow stripes?
>> Because red is a rare dye colour and a striped pattern is difficult to
>> achieve.
>
> Hate to bust your bubble, but a striped pattern is actually just about
> the easiest to get, textiles-wise. With most people, I wouldn't
> nitpick this kind of thing, but since I know you really care about the
> details... ;-)

KaPOW!

Thanks Ms. T!
Love the info.

Also a good example of getting burned off an "on the fly" response.
As I understand things currently the main source of red in Europe was
safflower (bastard saffron) until the discovery of the new world when it
moved to cochineal before synthetics.
We're not talking lapis lazuli hard to get or expensive but it wasn't cheep
or easy either.
I also have been working with some VERY naive attempts at dyeing patterns
for the sails of my longship models and noticed it's hard to control
bleeding, at least with the materials I'm using right now.
Twixt the two lines of thought I pulled that little comment and though there
was some thought behind it apparently I thought wrong.
The fantasy bit would probably let me fudge the connotation of stripes but
the difficulty I assigned...
DUHHHH I'll bet the stripes come outta the weaving process instead of the
dye part.
The process for Tapa cloth is completely different with the "stripes" being
applied to a piece of finished fabric.
Ughhh, I've been spending too much mental time on Rapa Nui.
I've got my Orcs dressed but I forgot about my Vikings!
Maybe I'll just send Picts...