Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

At 19:02 -0400 9/27/11, Jay wrote:
The u.s. entered the Great War (WWI) in April 1917.
Versailles was signed in June 1918.

Fascinating post. I'd thought of the WWII build-up as stunning, but this puts even that to shame in some ways.

BUT....

This history relies on a technology base able to field 200,000 soldiers plus the "work battalions" plus the industrial infrastructure *plus* the normal-technology ground troops, and still feed everyone. That's not only farming technology, but government of huge numbers of people which implies communications and transportation infrastructure. In a medieval setting, more or less none of that exists. I think for "period" veracity, you'd have to look farther back. The British Royal Navy, building up for its battle against the Spanish Armada, may be a good analog, but even that is after the development of gunpowder weapons, so it's marginally too far up the industrial development ladder. At those levels of technology, change and build-up took place on a scale more like decades than years, even under the impetus of impending invasion. Magic, as always, throws a monkey wrench into the analogy (Ow! I broke my metaphor!) by actually enabling transportation (gates) and communication (proxy, Long Range Telepathy) on par with or beyond modern-day technologies. So maybe the WWI buildup is actually an appropriate simulation; but I'd be careful about drawing too many parallels across many levels of technological development.

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635