(TFT) Solo-Playing the Opposition in Melee / Wizard

Have you looked at Tollenkars Lair?

uhhhhh
http://www.scribd.com/doc/21571880/Tollenkars-Lair-The-Fantasy-Trip-Adventure-supplement

As to the standard solo "adventure" it's really pretty much just a series of
arena encounters.
Opponents don't bug out of the room in Death Test and go running through the
"maze", although that's a little bit understandable maybe...
But where are the heads in that place?
Maybe players don't wanna put their backs against THAT corner?

Grail Quest is worth looking at too I think.

Ever play Traveler?

I like the old school approach that allows for solo play.
TFT seems to have taken that nod from Traveler where character creation was
a mini-adventure.
Sucks dieing on the Jobs Table though.
Never make an NPC more powerful than what you would allow for a player in a
game with New Followers/Monster Followers.
That's why you need to talk to my secretaries, secretaries, secretary to try
and get an appointment with the Dark Lord.
I'll pass the message along.