Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

I was not implying that proximity was the only driver of innovation, just
that it could be a (or the) major one.

Vis warlord with wizards: interesting point.  I think it does not scale well
because we (the GMs) generally simplify the politics of our worlds to make
them more playable.

Scenario:

With so many wizards in the world, and human nature being what it is, there
was soon a drive among wizards working for warlords to create a distinction
between those practicing "The Art," or noble wizards, and those practicing
"For Hire," or common wizards.  Since noble wizards had the ear of the law
makers, new and stringent laws were enacted to regulate and generally
discourage the practice of magic for and by the general population.

This could lead to an inquisition-type of scenario with rigid rules as to
morally/religiously acceptable magic, a guerilla warfare scenario with more
numerous but ill-equipped masses against the regime, or a Pol Pot campaign
against general magic use that was not in service to the government, with
lots of cloak and dagger paranoia.

Dungeoneering would take a back seat to politics and skirmishes in this type
of gaming. This strikes me as much more work, which might be why I avoided
these scenarios when I used to play regularly.  Also I was a cheating,
rule-abusing, teenage nerd on whom nuance was utterly lost, but I suppose
that goes without saying.