Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

While towns of 30,000 and even 1,000,000 existed in medieval times,  they
were rare & considered very large. There were only 4 towns of more  than
10,000, I believe, during the 1400s in England. And the  population of England
only hit 3,000,000 for the 2nd time (after the  Plague) around the 1450s.
Which would mean only 10,000 wizards in the whole  country. Of the 10,000
wizards, only about 2500-3000 wizards are adult males  (females being, for the
most part, not adventurers). This takes into account the  differences in
pre-modern societies in opportunity for females. You don't have  to do it that
way. I choose to. Now this is 2500-3000 for the whole  country, mind you. The
way I do it 1,250 of the 2,500 are 32-35 pointers. Of the  remaining 1,250;
800 are 36-39 pointers. Of the remaining 450 (3/20,000  population); 300 are
40-44 pointers. Of the remaining 150; 120  are 45-49 pointers. Of the
remaining 30, 25 are 50-54 pointers. Of the  remaining 5, they are the guys on
the national level so make 'em what you'd like  in the 55+ class. This varies
by race, so Orcs have a smaller proportion of  wizards in a smaller
proportion of adults (but a nasty reproduction  rate) and elves have a much larger
one in a much larger proportion of  adults (and a much smaller population
expansion rate).

To return to the town of 30,000, I don't think it is unreasonable to have a
 60 wizard org or several smaller ones in 4 towns in a country the size of
England + Wales, and a bigger org with a higher percentage of better
wizards in the capital. I think you're forgetting that of the 30,000 people in
the town, there are a high proportion of children and a high proportion of
females who are going to be very low level wizards at best. (Unless you're
on the fascist end of Political Correctness). This sex differential only
really affects NPCs as PCs are going to be extraordinary females in any  case.
You could even make a scenario where one character's femininity causes
trouble through a lack of respect by foreigners for her wizardly abilities.  So
if you have 15-20 32+ point wizards and wizardesses in a town of 30,000
you're probably doing pretty well. Double it because the real talent is going
to  seek the big town if you want. That's what I do.

Of course, I'm saying that wizards come in all sorts of forms-from ascetic
researchers to politicals to power-mad to shop-keepers and spell-sellers to
 war-wizards and adventurers. I think it makes it a more vibrant campaign.

Just my 2 Florins,
                       Mick

In a message dated 9/28/2011 12:21:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,