Re: (TFT) Iron & magic

Meg,

Just my take on Iron and Magic...
It's all down to superstition and belief.

Magic is the Art of achieving the (physically) impossible.
It's got nothing to do with science, it has everything to do with
belief.

Wizards can cast spells because they believe that they can.
Holding onto a belief that you can fly, strong enough to throw yourself
off a high place is so much harder than remembering the right
incantations, gestures or components.
Getting those right must help too...

There is/was a commonly held belief that Cold Iron counters magic.
Hence we hang horseshoes on our doors for good luck and to ward off ill
fortune/elves/witches/evil spirits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

The Wizard has to overcome that background belief with their own faith
in their ability to cast magic.

I have seen it suggested that drawing iron from stone ore and turning it
into a useful tool or weapon is an act of magic in it's own right.
There are a number of superstitions relating to Blaksmiths that might
support this.

Also, incoming cultures with new iron weapons defeated indiginous people
with bronze or stone weapons and drove them underground to become 'the
Little People'.

Traditionally, i.e. Pre-Tolkien, Iron is death to Elves and Fairies,
along with sunlight and holy symbols.

Regards,

Chris

--