Re: (TFT) Space travel - galaxy sized dyson spheres.

At 8:43 -0500 12/7/11, Jim wrote:
Recent readings from the Voyager craft seem to indicate that the solar
wind varies quite a bit and spins with the sun.  That could make the
stresses on an enclosed sphere rather extreme.

Voyager as well as others; and it varies from equator to pole of the sun as well, even over a long-term average.

However, if the sphere is anything like strong enough to hold itself up, it probably could withstand all of those variations as well.

However, I think the same "Shell Theorem" that effectively cancels gravity inside the sphere *also* cancels the effect of the solar wind on the sphere for centering purposes. That is, for any given direction, a closer segment of sphere sees a denser solar wind, but a farther away segment sees a greater area of solar wind. Equivalently stated, there's just as much solar wind coming out to the left as there is to the right (long-term average), so the sphere won't be pushed either way.

So I have to vote with PvK; the "blue ghost" (sic?) of "Ringworld Engineers" would be a necessity.
--
						- Mark     210-379-4635