Re: (TFT) Magic Carpets and Brooms

Chris Nicole wrote:
> Just cleaning out my mailbox when I found this...
>
> The magic that makes flying carpets less sticky to gravity on the
> underside, makes the carpet more sticky on the top side.
> Obviously.
> :o)

OUCH!!!!
No, really Sir, OUCH!
<rubs temples and tries to think>
Is 'gravity' the best thing to call on here?
Your choice of adjectives is a good indicator I think... "sticky"
a.k.a. Sticky Floors.
I'm not trying to suggest that you don't "get it" Sir, but rather am
just taking the opportunity to mention a viewpoint of mine (as if oft
my want).
I'm thinking of giving "wizards" the ability to construct spells much
like an electrical circuit with components focused around the desired
effects.
As this would work "sticky" would be the polar opposite of "slippery"
and would get an area of effect and range equal to said casters
Talents with said spell "components" to throw (or missile) a hex/plus
bit on a rug beyond fixing the effect on an item.
Interesting questions would be stuff like can Flight be on the bottom
and Sticky Floor on the top w/o "interactions, or does an area of
effect, component-effect count toward the 'rule of five'?
Not everyone wants to run a group of Mnoren (I get spooked about even
1) and even fewer players really want to play Mnoren.
Even Bobby Fisher studied the 8 by 8 and forgot about the edge.

> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> p.s. If we were to use TFT for Harry Potter, is HP an Apprentice ?
> Until he graduates ?

Ok...
IMHO 'apprentice' in TFT means "human(oid) ST battery".
Aid is interesting in its implications from a 'Unit' perspective but
as given from the actual printed stuff?
Harry was doing "dungeons" from the start I think...
It is a very interesting dynamic I think but it points to one of those
odd differences twixt RPG's and "plotted" stories.
In a plotted tell the climax often ends up hinging on an assumed
"critical result" to drive the story to it's dramatic ending while an
RPG has to ALWAYS account for this possible outcome when randomizing
results.
I've never had a player hit two 3's on 3d6 in a row but...
One of the "limits" I put on magic is not making the best use of the 1
in 50/1 in 300 ratio mentioned in TFT AW.
If three quarters of the potential population are from a "serf" class
that can never aspire to even 1 in 50 apprentice status because they
have to work the fields just to feed the overall population then the
total numbers get pretty small pretty quick.
Of course authority isn't easily shared...