Re: (TFT) new player wants an attack worthy animal...

These are great

In a message dated 3/21/2012 12:52:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
juzjohn@sbcglobal.net writes:

Oh you  evil, evil GM

I love these!

-----Original Message-----
From:  tft-admin@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-admin@brainiac.com] On Behalf Of
Mark  Tapley
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:41 AM
To:  tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) new player wants an attack worthy  animal...

At 0:57 -0400 3/21/12, Brett wrote:
>When I played a  GURPS version of this character, inns and cities were
>a problem. Being  a wolf, my character's companion was able to take
>care of themselves in  the woods outside of any inn my character might
>stay in. And my  character tended to not go to cities very often. When
>we did, the wolf  just stayed out of town until he came out.

Brett's  suggestion is good, but with a few more variants to
blind-side the  character:

1) Owner forgets to make proper provisions.
Wolf Owner:  "We walk into the tavern..."
GM: "Everyone in the tavern yells, draws, and  lunges toward your wolf."
WO: "Oh, he's not with us!"
GM: "You didn't  prearrange that. The tavern patrons get initiative."

2) Vet  bills.
GM: "Ok, this morning your wolf has very loose stools and vomiting.
He's also looking a little "peaked". What do you  do?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

3)  Unfair accusations.
GM: "Farmer Dale's chicken coop was broken into last  night. He wants
you to pay for the chickens your wolf  ate."

It occurs to me that a similar approach might  work for lizard men.

1) Cold-bloodedness.
GM: "It's 0300 and you  hear some noise in the brush. Oh, by the way,
it's cold and the lizard man  cannot move or awaken."

2) Reptilian defense mechanisms.
GM: "OK,  you disengage from HTH ... leaving your tail."

3) ...
GM: "Your  throat flaps start swelling. She doesn't look that cute to
anyone else,  FWIW..."

4) Subtle dietary requirements.
GM: "The quiche in the inn  tonight is spinach."
Players: "We all dig in!"
GM: "Fine."
GM:  "The lizard man, since the spinach is interfering with calcium
uptake in  his intestine, has a splitting headache, heart
palpitations, and tremors;  -6 adjDX. Oh, and the bandits are breaking
down the  door."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uromastyx (see  "Nutrition")

Hope this helps.
--