Re: (TFT) Magic: illusions, cities

I like Illusions as they are.
But I believe they benefit from a bit of 'staging' to disguise their
origin and enhance their credibility.

The following edited example is one of my favourites from Dave Seagraves
'Thail' campaign.
I was playing Marius, Goblin Wizard and tailor to the gentry...

Marius leaves the White Dragon in the late afternoon or early evening,
the jail break wasn't due until after midnight.
He will tell Iris about his visit to the White Dragon.
He will use the time between to prepare himself and study the area
surrounding the jail.
He will look for likely escape routes or hiding places, bearing in mind
he may have to hide Kob! (Half-Giant PC)
Is the South Guardhouse connected to the South Gate ?
Is there a stair or route to the top of the wall, and how high is the
wall?
Is there a sewer system? (with man-hole covers ala Robin Hood Prince of
Thieves? :o)

Preparations will include resting (obviously), running over the spells
he knows and rehearsing/practicing them (without actually casting them),
and preparation of a few components:
He will look for a container of water, a bucket, bottle or cup would do,
if he can find some fish remains that would be helpful.
He will also prepare a few small figurines of wax from his kit bag,
moulding them in his hands and sculpting detail with his needle.

When he has done wandering the area and searching for potential
components he will return to his previous vantage point near the prison
and settle down to wait...

[Dave allowed him to find a bucket of Sea water and as much fish guts as
he needed from the local market.]

>===== Original Message From "Dave Seagraves" <dseagraves@...> =====

> Late past midnight, Domitian and Marius meet outside the door to
>the south guard house. Domitian has a burning torch in hand. He
>throws the rest of the grey powder on the ground, then stands back and
>tosses the torch on it. The powder lights and burns instantly, and a
>huge cloud of grey smoke is formed.
> Domitian immediately opens the front door to the guard house, and
>some of the smoke is sucked into the room . . . enough to stop all
>sight more than a meter. Several shouts from the guards are heard in
>the smoke. Domitian moves along the wall into the Sargeant's office,
>grabs the keys off the wall, and moves back into the main guard room.
>He sees no one, and no one sees him. Someone on the other side of the
>room blows a whistle!

I'll assume Domitian spotted Marius skulking around the prison and
approached him before they met at the door..

After the priest disappears through the door, Marius breathes a quick
prayer to his ancestors and starts his incantations;

His first spell is Aid, focusing his strength to raise his Dexterity;
(+2/ Adj.DX;13) lasts two turns unless renewed.
> [Spell roll 7.] The spell is cast successfully.

Then he takes one of the wax figures and casts a spell of creation on
it;

(If the Illusion spell comes off it should produce Marius's Sea-Devil,
an aquatic relative of the reptile men;
ST 18, DX 12, IQ 8, MA 8 (on land), HtH (teeth & claws) 2D+2, Tail 1D,
Scaly hide stops one hit.
It can be treated like a big ugly reptile man.)
[Imagine a Salt-Water croc crossed with a reptile-man]

> [Spell roll 12.] The Sea-Devil appears out of thin air. [The Aid > spell made a difference!]

If it doesn't appear on the first try Marius will attempt the spell
again;
When the Sea Devil appears Marius will dump the fish guts over it and
have it lurk in the smoke beside the door.
He will then scream at the top of his lungs and yell into the guardroom;
"Hayalp! Guards! Fire, Fire! Guards!"

(Over to you...)

> Three guards run out of the building and straight into the Sea-Devil. After their initial shock they immediately draw swords to attack it!
>
> [New actions for Marius and the Sea-Devil?]

So much for my cunning plan!

=======| G |======
      M  G S

M= Marius, G= Guard, S= Sea Devil, ==| |== wall and door. ?

The Sea Devil slashes at the guards with its fearsome claws (defending)
and roars fishy oaths whilst backing away from the door into the smoke
outside.

Marius yells again;
"Help! Guards, Fire! Murder! The fish men are burning the guardhouse!"
He points franticly in the general direction of the Sea Devil;
"Monsters! Monsters! Horrible stinking Fishmen! More of them over there!
They went that way!"

I hope the Sea Devil can lead them away from the prison down one of the
darker more noisome alleys.

By now Marius is apparently in headless chicken mode; leaping around
yelling and sowing confusion as he tries to lead the guards away from
the prison;
:o)

>>The Sea Devil slashes at the guards with its fearsome claws
>>(defending) and roars fishy oaths whilst backing away from the
>>door into the smoke outside.
>
> [Attacks 11, 13, 9; defenses 7 & 7.] The guards chop at the Sea
>Devil with their swords, but under Marius's control the Devil defends
>itself well and remains unharmed.

The Sea Devil continues defending itself while it roars and makes as
much noise as it can.
It backs away from the guards towards/into the alley (one Marius scouted
earlier).
If it can disengage it will turn and run (waddle) for/down the alley,
sweeping its tail behind it and spattering the guardsmen with fish guts!
When I say alley, I mean the dark sort one wouldn't want to meet a
'fishman' down :o)

>[Attacks 13, 12, 9; defense 10.] The "fishman" continues to
> successfully defend itself.
>
> A fourth guard rushes out of the guardhouse. He quickly takes in
>the situation before him, then runs down the street to the north,
>blowing his monotoned whistle.
>
> [New actions?]

(Dave, is the fourth Guardsman following the others and the 'fishmen',
or is he going into the city for help ?)

>[The fourth guard did not engage with the Sea Devil and ran up the
>road to the north. His purpose for doing so is unknown.]
>

>Domitian tosses the keys into the cells with the other prisoners
>and makes a dash for the door pulling his hood up over his head
>as he goes.
>
>When he gets to the cell block door he leads the others out if
>they already havnt found the way. As soon as he sees the Sea-
>Devil he says to the others "Witchery...Goblins and Witchery."
>He then leads them away to the north since the South Guard House
>is alerted.
>
> The guards -- busy with fighting the Sea Devil -- do not notice the
>escape party's speedy departure from the building, and they all make a
>clean getaway.

The Sea Devil continues roaring, defending and retreating while Marius
waits for the prisoners to get clear.
Marius is edging away from the fight readying his own retreat.

When Marius sees the prisoners heading away, the Sea Devil turns
suddenly sweeping its heavy tail at the guardsmen's legs trying to knock
down one or more before it runs for the alley.
If it makes it to the alley, it may be seen trying to lift a grate
leading down into the sewers.
The illusion will dissolve with watery effects, apparently flowing away
down the drain.

> [This works exactly as planned.]

Marius hurries after the escapees while trying to avoid pursuit.

> [You make a clean getaway. Where does everyone go?]

As Marius hurries away from the scene he can't conceal the huge toothy
grin across his face.

Marius catches up with the others and follows Domitian's lead for the
the time being.

Marius

Chris

--