Re: (TFT) Streets of fire as the module a nice integration, but Archery/Missles/aimed shots

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Joel BoardgameRpger wrote:

> The question is If I nerf the deadlyness of the game is it still TFT.  Im
> not talking about nerving the option rules. they are just optional.

Yeah... TFT is a strange bird.
I've termed it a "stillborn" system before.
I don't mean it as an insult but rather as an observation of its
"development" when compared to that of other systems around at the time
such as D&D or Traveler.
It's also my opinion that TFT had some supplemental material planed for
future release that never saw the light of day.

"IN THE LABYRINTH may be played two ways. It is
possible for a GM to design a small tunnel complex in a couple
of hours; then, the players sit down, develop new characters,
and begin play. At the end of the evening, the survivors with
the most loot and experience are the winners.
More challenging is the "campaign game." In such a game,
the GM is likely to spend much more time to create a detailed
world. There may be dozens of players, not all of whom
will be active at any given time. Play is not terminated after
one session; rather, the game goes on indefinitely. Months and
years pass in the fantasy world at a rate chosen by the players,
while characters adventure, gain experience, age, make alliances,
work at their jobs, intrigue against one another . . .
whatever the players want. Labyrinth adventures are conducted
at intervals by the GM, and the players spend the interim
planning and negotiating. Several GMs (some of whom may
also be players) can co-operate on a large campaign."

The idea seems to be simple game mechanics to handle the typical dungeon
crawl so that "house rules" could focus more on individual campaigns.
ITL goes on to state;

"THE FANTASY TRIP is a game system designed for the
lover of heroic fantasy: "swords and sorcery," Merrie England
in the days of Arthur, the swashbuckling Renaissance ... pasts
that never were, or futures that may well be yet to come. It
was intended to turn any story into a game (or to let any
gamer create his own stories) - just as long as the subject was
a little larger than life. Strong arms, quick wits, mystic secrets,
beautiful women and dashing men ... this is THE FANTASY
TRIP."

In other words its meant as a generic, universal... yada yada yada it just
didn't get the developmental support.
Ergo there are kernels of ideas in the books that require development (aka
home rules) to flesh out in a playable format for campaign purposes.
I'm currently working on a post on sieges which are implied in the Talents
list but not well described in game mechanics.
To try and quantify a given materials resistance to damage (quantified in
ST) I use a term I call the materials "passive" ST or pST.

"ENGINEER (2). Ability to build, maintain, and effectively use all
"siege engines" and large weapons of war, including the ballista,
trebuchet, catapult, bombard, siege tower, battering ram, etc.
Ability to detect a mining operation against a castle."

Something is necessary to describe siege engines in terms of the damage
they do against a given wall if Engineer is in play I'd think.
I wouldn't call pST a nerf as a stand alone concept but if a bunch of "home
rules" campaign stuff gets added all together it's hard to call it straight
TFT.
Where the exact tipping point into nerf is reached is pretty murky in TFT
and depends a lot on subjective taste when talking about campaign mode.
Things are a bit more cut and dry when looking at the dungeon crawl mode I
think.
I don't think that a modification like nerfing the fatality level of melee
combat damage necessarily wrecks the system as a whole but I'd consider it
carefully.
Ever see Kung Fu Hustle?
That combat has a particular flavor to it that requires some "adjustments"
to damage but it's one thing to up the auntie like that in a movie.
It didn't take long to get to the credits once "flying Palm" got busted out
in the movie but once a game organizational director gives it to a players
Figure it's loose in a campaign.
What happens to the castle walls then?