(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #295

> Do you use the "must charge 3 hexes to get a charge attack" rule?

Even that leads to gamey things like running back two hexes and forward
three.

Whenever I get around to running a game I'm planning to use: Charge damage
bonus occurs if the attacker and target started the turn at least three
hexes apart.

I'd like it if someone could tell me what's wrong with this:

For order:

1. Combat between characters who were engaged at the start of the turn
happens first. Engaged characters still use DX order.

2. "First attack" advantage happens in the first round, regardless of
whether it's a charge or not.

3. First attack advantage is in order of weapon length, so pole arms before
others and then by strength requirement of weapon, not by DX.

For damage:

1. Charge damage bonus is only given for spear-like weapons. So spear gets
x2, a halberd (which has spear- and axe-like bits) gets x1.5, naginata
(which doesn't have a point) gets x1 (and is 1+1 vice 1+2).

2. Charge damage bonus occurs if the attacker and target started the turn
at least three hexes apart.

3. No +2 for set vs. charge (it's a complicating rule and as far as I can
tell armies chose to meet at a charge anyway).

Has anyone tried something like this?

> If you do, then if the pole weapon user retreats
> his opponent, he only has a 50% chance to get a
> second double damage charge.

Two thoughts:

1. Isn't this true anyway? The retreated opponent can step forward, it's
not a charge.

2. You need to hit them twice, see that's your problem. :-)

Cris - other tactics your simulator could try would be:

* when I have a polearm I choose to jab rather than charge.
* when I face a polearm I choose to defend in the first round.

Don't know if these would work well.

I checked my own simulator, which is pretty detailed but not as good as
Cris' and used some of the house rules above. It created dozens of warriors
and then repeatedly culled the one with the worst average score against
survivors. The last survivors, notionally the best, were spear, gladius,
broadsword, halberd ... I don't really understand how halberd does so badly
against swords, but I don't seem to have a bug.

-----
David