Re: (TFT) long talent/skill lists

> True... perhaps the easiest solution thats true to the original games
> would be to just provide more opportunities for XP outside of combat...
> For example, if the guy who wants to learn how to swim is really actively
> trying to learn how to swim, he could be given the XP he needs to get a
> higher IQ to get Swimming. I admit its a bit round about compared to some
> systems but it works.

> Adding more advanced weapon talents (like Fencing or Missile Weapons) is
> usually a good idea in my opinion.

I allow Fencing on different classes of weapons. I've definitely
encountered that level of skill wiht something other than swords.

> My one objection on this would be that I think UC 1 or maybe 2 would be
> considered the level of UC that most weapon masters would have. 3 seems
> like its a bit high for your character but I suppose it depends on the
> other characters you play with.

I disagree with this. If anything, I've found that both modern and
medieval masters of weapons tend to have a high level of unarmed combat as
well.

My usual example is Fiore de Liberi. His manual, written in 1420 or so, is
mostly about unarmed combat, as he considered that the basis for weapon
combat. In fact, he considered armoured combat with swords to be more of a
wrestling match than a sword fight (he considered unarmoured combat with
swords to be more like what most think of as sword fighting).