[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Dodging arrows (was: Re: (TFT) Targeting Horses and their Riders)
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Dodging arrows (was: Re: (TFT) Targeting Horses and their Riders)
- From: Robert Ward <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:22:02 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=dolwen.com; h= message-id:from:to:mime-version:content-transfer-encoding :content-type:subject:date:in-reply-to:references; s=mesmtp; bh= d2VvxXBB4J6TQB7Wms6Fx9cLH80=; b=V23L665+Ou84WE+nDIOhb4XWiCTCpvkr TCK9Ma3pk/64/SpT0NA2J7D2qr2i6IfFf8QmuboruIok3cVUpCBdXv976lAvVOTg hqRWxJle6CeEzJd3D7qda9jCnx/aM8HAJA2/vkkFv/dOVvGxXfKKFAZzpeAYkVMV Y8+dCKK5HIA=
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=message-id:from:to:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding:content-type:subject:date:in-reply-to :references; s=smtpout; bh=d2VvxXBB4J6TQB7Wms6Fx9cLH80=; b=SwVt+ PgrlXV7/pdzUXyRTGf3NPaMeUHyGEsqINGuro6MhnOu4VVKas51qeYkjbUaAwCSQ ECUAzntrJ4WmNzUg4ai16dA7PyrZlilgL9beHHc+qJ8tQx/4DzHGZlSvBCllVopM lqPgMKDO8fDur17j387HmcAPca0P3VhQ4vhoCA=
- In-reply-to: <20130826163248.7B334D42@resin11.mta.everyone.net>
- References: <20130826163248.7B334D42@resin11.mta.everyone.net>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
Sounds like a plausible arrow speed, but what do I know.
A whole-body response time of .5 seconds sounds fast but not impossible
to me. Consider that a pre-programmed jump from sprint blocks in
response to a highly salient start signal takes over 100 ms, a variable
reaction in response to arrow flight would take significantly longer,
and perceptual limits would reduce the time available still further.
Finally, 50 yards = 45.72 meters = 34 hexes (about 15 megahexes, or 3
melee maps placed end-to-end). Unusual combat situation for our group.
So I might allow someone with combat reflexes to dodge or block a very
long shot like this one, if they knew it was coming. Esp if it meant a
cinematic outcome like dodging an assassin's aimed shot to the head from
that kind of range. Of course the assassin would be firing at DX -7 for
range and -6 for the headshot.
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013, at 12:32 AM, PvK wrote:
> I have fairly fast arrow speeds at about 200 feet per second, maybe 300
> feet per second as a maximum probably not achieved by low-tech bows.
> 50 yards is 150 feet, meaning at least a half-second of flight time,
> which is enough to move your entire body left or right, completely out of
> the space it was in when the firer loosed the arrow...
Post to the entire list by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unsubscribe by mailing to email@example.com with the message body