Re: (TFT) More long bow reflections

Neil Gilmore,

 Those test you are not convinced by are at 250 yards if you are quoting
Matheus Bane which is long range for a longbow.  The kills and penetration
that are described at Agincourt and again at Tewkesbury (1471) describe
individual archers picking out targets at much closer range.  The battle of
Portiers 1356 where the archers never even got into position to shoot more
than once or twice is not a good example of the damage that the longbow could
do.  They also argue that plate armor was proof against arrow because the
Italians in armor were not penetrated nearly as much with their armor.  The
big problem with that logic is that the Italian archers were generally
inferior (French mercenaries said this when they were in the Wars of Lombardy
1425-1453) because they had only fought other Italian in a series of internal
struggles and there equipment wasn't anywhere in the same pull weights or
quality as English bows

 As for continuing to fight when wounded that happens all the time that
doesn't take away from the longbows effectiveness.

 And if we are going back to 1066 Archers were even more effective, even
discounting Harold, as armor was no where near as good.

 On your last point I think we have been mainly talking about French and
English battles so the Gentry were swordsmen and yeoman and lower class were
archers.  Now if you want to talk Mongol mounted archers and Japanese archers
they fought a much different type of foe, not generally full plate mounted
cav.

   Edward Kroeten
     Farmers Agent
     39899 Balentine Drive Suite 200