Re: (TFT) The Space Gamer (tft@brainiac.com)

I'm always going to pay and own what I can but this isn't always as simple
as it sounds nor does it always have the "effect" I intend which is to
support the actual developer.

1: Some games are FAR too expensive. This not only applies to titles
themselves but the much greater pre-planning going on today where content
is structured in such a manner that the reference book for a particular
genera in fact does not cover the genera as title implies but requires
material from other source books to get the "full" package with all the
main areas covered. I'm not expecting the encyclopedia britannica for a saw
buck here and I know up front if I'm buying a "basic" vanilla starter that
I'm going to have to get the genera package as well but if I also have to
pick up a couple of other genera books just to get a section of rules that
the genera simply isn't the genera without and/or the genera I'm interested
in is broken up into multiple books such that I can't just go with the
basic book for scenario situations that are axiomatically assumed by the
title (an old west book that required another book to get the rules for
six-guns and another genera book to get horse riding and no notification of
something like that stinks) even planned obsolescence Watch a BUNCH of
"gamers" freak out once they learn that "does it activate on steam?" most
likely means no ownership just access on-line through steam servers that
serve the DMR control of corporate interests that are "business" in the
same way what the u.s. practices today is "war", an irrational and contrary
to fact assumption that just because it uses the same title, colours,
design yada an older version did it's still the same game/dollar/law etc.
Steam isn't a Player service no matter how many badges one earns and
virtual collectible trading cards? Puleeze

#2 "Services" like GOG that have somehow managed to suck up quite a number
of titles out of "Abandonware" status and using DOS Box just like anyone
else they push 'em back out with a fee and albeit small and affordable I
can't see how I would owe a fee after having a fee version for years in
many cases and not a thin dime to anyone actually involved in development
from what I can tell. I won't pony there on principal.

#3 Some games are sketchy from paranoid profit protection to the point of
broken functionality. Running a 64bit system I found that I've been able to
run old Logitech webcams Logitech claims on their site can not function
under my OS but also draconianly redacted any thread even mentioning other
possibilities for operation and was suspicious enough for me to bother
almost random driver loads until pulling a functional "can not operate
under Win7 64bit systems" webcam image. Every picture tells a story don't
it? MoO2 with a 16bit install was a touch of a headache until it dawned on
me to load on an old XP and flashdrive her over and compatibility the stew
out of her, and the desktop comp, the colour down to 16bit, you get the
drift. She runs and I may not know Jack but they run on my 64bit machines
now. Several newer titles have not been so yelding to effort stardock seems
to hate its own software and among several other titles the absolute worst
I've ever encountered was the Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition fiasco
which started with the end user license with a big raise to the pot;
"You agree that a breach of this License (disable the DRM, make a video for
YouTube using the game, use a No-CD crack, etc) will cause irreparable
injury to EA for which monetary damages would not be an adequate remedy and
EA shall be entitled to seek equitable relief in addition to any remedies
it may have here under or at law without a bond, other security or proof of
damages".
So I agree is getting spookie... but I purchased it and wasn't distributing
or whatever so I should be okay I think... I've had to sweat some of the
old stuff into the next day a time or two... after a frustrating Friday
into Monday four days of hassle hoops and heck to try and get round through
and over I was able to pin a server at one of the three on-line sites I
ended up forced into registering with who had no carrier or conn and
something like two week later this was still so... ergo I cracked her to
get the software to go a trick I've pulled twice before then long ago and
far away and not to make a purchase play... but the two viruses I picked up
this year were Micro$oft and Adobe. M$ says "strongvault" isn't a virus
because they said so and Adobe says that Trojan was made to appear to come
from them but it didn't "trust us". I don't care to snag torrents for
purchased programs but to play it's yea to torrents woopie lucky me