Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS - hack/n/slash ethics

+1
and "Goblin - it's what's for dinner tonight"

-----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Vandine
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 12:15 AM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS - hack/n/slash ethics

Well, in the Silmarillion, Morgoth utters lines.  Specifically when ch
aining one of the heroes to a rock on the slopes of Thangorodrim.  But
also in a couple of other places (mostly while in custody in the undying l
ands after the coming of the elves).

Smaug and dragons are an interest
ing case in Tolkien's works -- they truly are completely evil -- bred, like
the orcs, by Morgoth himself in order to destroy the other races, and give
n long life and great power, though when young they are very vulnerable.
Tolkien doesn't spend much time on them in either the Silmarillion or
LotR (or even, really, in The Hobbit), but from the Silmarillion we get th
at they are irredeemably evil, much like the orcs and trolls are.

In f
act, if we think about it, every race that opposes the "free peoples" is pr
etty much irredeemably evil -- orcs, Uruk-Hai, Olog-Hai, regular trolls, Dr
agons, you name it.  Presumably because they were made by Morgoth in t
wisted immitation of the creatures created by Eru, and because Morgoth (Mel
kior), their creator, himself had become irredeemably evil.  Note that
even in the movie version of the Lord of the Rings, Jackson shows Uruk-Hai
(and, presumably, therefore, orcs) as being "hatched" more than born. �
�Based on the stuff that Tolkien wrote about orcs at various times, he ha
s some excellent grounds for showing it that way.  Perhaps Uruk-Hai me
rely get more "royal jelly" than the standard orc does....  Certainly
having them enter life in such a way shows both their extreme alieness to t
he experience of most humans (and other free peoples), as well as removing
any of those pesky "psychological weaknesses" like being vulnerable to appe
als to
their better nature (after all, if they were born the normal way, their mo
mmies might have actually loved them) or threatening their nonexistent fami
lies.

And as for the humans (and the few elves) that side with the var
ious Dark Lords, they are simply misled, or perhaps ruled by a greater hatr
ed (in the case of the Dunlendings), or are the usual venal and morally cor
rupt types that throw in with the expected "winner" in expectation of some
great reward, despite the fact that the Dark Lord is, by definition, evil (
the Mouth of Sauron). And while they do evil acts, it is reasonable for Tol
kien to explore their motivations a bit (as he does with the Dunlendings in
the Two Towers, and even with the Mouth a bit (he was a corrupted Numenore
an from the south) in Return of the King).  Mind you, he doesn't get t
oo carried away with it, but he does point out that there might be some jus
tification, at least, for the Dunlendings wanting revenge on the Rohirrim,
and perhaps the Mouth just WAS poorly brought up as a child.

I actuall
y think there is a place for that sort of creature (the completely twisted
and irredeemably evil) in most games, and that's why killer robots, zombies
and demons show up so often nowadays -- so that there CAN'T be any moral o
r ethical quandaries; they simply need to be destroyed.  You don't nee
d to really understand their motivation; they want to kill and eat you (or
whatever) and that pretty much lets you get down to cases right away. �
�Most people like a little bit of "certainty" in their escapism, a role t
hat Nazis and "Japs" played for an earlier generation or two.

Just my
$0.02 worth....  ;-)