Re: (TFT) More Weapons, and variable strength

Hey Neil,
I think the thing with the Romans was training. They trained their legionna
ires to fight together, support the man next to you. And thus a standard we
apon was important to them. The spatha was Celtic, I think, adopted by the
Romans after their adventures in Gaul because of the longer reach -- and le
ading to all of our ideas of Dark Ages swords (Viking, Norman, etc.)
I did take fencing and archery in college (what fun a single credit could b
e!) but no, I've never studied fighting with an ax or spear. I just know th
at they were the weapons that were most likely to hand for most non-nobles.
 If you grew up on a farm, you used an ax as a tool and a spear to fend off
 predators. And when you wandered off to become a hero, they were probably
the weapons you took with you.

I've always thought that swords took a lot more effort to make than either
spears or axes. All that banging and folding to get a weapon that is flexib
le and hard at the same time. And while I'm sure that thousands of them wer
e made, I still suspect that many more spears and axes were turned out by h
alfway talented blacksmiths all over the world. I do agree about armor. Har
d and time consuming to make.
And the arrow thing. The English had a cottage industry making arrows, and
while an individual arrow might only take a short while to fashion, you nee
d the set up to churn out a bunch. I guess my point there is that many of u
s think of arrows as free, and they would not be. And unlike most weapons t
hey get used up and need to be replaced. I just bought a couple of hundred
rounds of .38 special and they set me back a shade over $.40 per round -- c
heap, but not so much when you start spraying them around like a fire hose!

I was thinking of halberds as being fairly late (14th century) but I do see
 that the naginata was around in the 12 century -- though this weapon has a
lways bothered me in the rules. It's a cultural misfit and was certainly no
t known in the worlds most of us set our games in. If you're playing Bushid
o, fine. If it's Camelot or Middle Earth, not  so easy to explain. And
 I'm not sure I agree about it being equivalent to a halberd or spear. The
usage is certainly very different with the naginata being more of a sword o
n a stick and the fighting style more like fencing than jabbing or chopping
. (No, I've not used one, but I have watched bouts on TV.)

I like the Shield Wall talent -- certainly something well known as a defens
ive style.
As for the naming of names, that's part of the charm, isn't it? What makes
my guy different than yours is that he carries a rapier, not just a sword.
But not in Camelot.