Re: (TFT) new development Heroes and Other Worlds. interesting port of Mel/Wiz

Yeah, I actually agree with that estimate.  I like Brandon's stuff --
at least parts of it -- but there are things he does that just don't pass m
y "whaaaat?" test.  As a result, I read for the ideas and for the appr
oach more than the nuts and bolts.  One interesting thing he did recen
tly was the Tomb of Terrors and Treasures wherein he basically attempts to
translate every Monster Manual monster from AD&D 1E into TFT stats.  I
t provides an interesting perspective, but I think most of the monsters are
 WAY overpowered in TFT terms.  It's like he forgot how deadly combat
in TFT is compared to AD&D -- those monsters need seriously scaled back, or
 the first time you run into one you might as well call a time-out and dig
a bunch of graves for the party as a whole before you start fighting.

I actually like the Dark City Games stuff better, I think (particularly the
 way they go about fighting tentacled monsters like the Watcher in the Wate
r or a Kraken -- it's simple and yet highly effective, but I wouldn't have
thought of translating "fighting the tentacles" literally like that on my o
wn!), but they won't push towards "campaign LAW," so it remains useful only
 on the tactical level.
I also like the basic concept of "Health" from GURPS (and how they run "Fat
igue" as a result) -- which solves one of the biggest conundrums with TFT,
but they've piled so much extraneous crap on top of it that to me GURPS is
basically unplayable without having eleventy-seven rule books by your side,
 and if I'm going to do that, I might as well play D&D.  I DO find the
ir various splat books useful though....