Re: (TFT) Spear vs. Shortsword maneuvers

I have always felt that the issue was with the nomenclature of the word
"charge". It sets up a precedent in your mind that the physics is off
and that you've got to build up speed in a run, or "charge" to get the
extra damage.

I prefer the word "lunge". The way I see it is that you about 5 feet
from your opponent (in game terms one hex away), and you throw your body
weight behind a sudden forward lunge. All of that force behind the lunge
is concentrated on a small, sharp point which can now penetrate chain
mail, slide off of plate and find a joint to penetrate, or simply punch
through leather.

Once past the armor your victim is then impaled on basically a long
spike and takes a very nasty, deep, puncture wound that plays havoc with
his internal organs, which to me warrants the extra damage.

As many of you know I always felt that it was the doubling of the
damage, especially in the two larger pole arms, that was the real
problem. That's why our group came up with the +1d6, rather than the
doubling. It keeps the smaller pole arms basically as written, while
having the added bonus of making the two larger ones slightly less
devastating. If you start adding in rules such as moving 3 hexes in a
straight line then you give up some of the chess like, strategy elements
that the game has. For example I want to move first so that I can back
away from a fallen foe and lunge at him again, before he stands up. That
kinda thing.

David
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration
www.davidomiller.com

2 Dean Court
East Northport, NY 11731
(631) 266-6875

On Oct 20, 2015, at 4:28 PM, "Edward Kroeten"
<ekroeten@farmersagent.com> wrote:

> Okay sorry about that I just checked my rule book and we had made the
cha
> nge to three hexes as a house rule.  The reason was that the physics
just
> don't work if I rush from 4 feet away I haven't generated enough
force.
> You simply can't build up to the speed in that amount of space even
with
> a sharp stick.
>

> In that case the only time you would not get the charge is where sword
> ot initiative from outside 5 hexes,  had spear move first then ran to
a s
> ide hex (certainly possible but not guaranteed), and then on the next
ini
> tiative roll sword also wins and shifts into the front hexes making
spear
> engaged and unable to charge.  If using these rules it makes avoiding
> charge very difficult.
>

> Again I have always used 3 hexes in the general direction (no straight
> ex line limit) for charges so getting within 3 hexes negated the
charge o
> r hitting (actual damage) them from the side or rear (another house
rule
> to avoid the unrealistic reactions).

He'