Re: (TFT) New File on Dwarves on Rick's web pages.

As this discussion goes on, I have to admit I'm no scientist and am not fam
iliar with the issues from that perspective.  What I WAS, however, was
 an infantryman and platoon sniper.  As such, I routinely got to work
with night vision equipment, including both IR scopes and "starlight" scope
s.  They provide different kinds of information, and they need to be v
iewed differently, each possessing its own advantages and disadvantages.�� But one thing neither of them required was for me to carry a compact nu
clear power plant with me to power them.  Furthermore, they were robus
t -- meaning that an ignorant and clumsy infantryman, carrying 60 lbs of ge
ar in a pitch-black night in the middle of a forest could use them without
too much risk of destroying them or killing himself in the process.  (
I also used starlight type scopes later on when I flew helicopters for the
Air Force, though of course there was considerably less likelihood of me dr
opping them under those conditions.)
In short, the issue of cryogenics and power limits really never came up for
 those of us using them in the field -- and this was in the late 70's and e
arly-to-mid 80's.  Yes, some of them needed batteries, but not a car b
attery or anything silly like that.  We could (and did) attach them to
 our helmets, or use them as scopes on our rifles, depending on the model a
nd the situation.  The only really annoying thing I remember was that
they were heavy enough (being soldier-proofed mechanical equipment) that yo
u needed to sling some counter-weights on the back of your helmet to offset
 the neck strain (especially when flying helicopters with them) -- which me
ant a couple of rolls of quarters in a velcro pouch attached to the back of
 your helmet.  The modern ones I've seen our people using in Afghanist
an and Iraq seem to be a lot more streamlined and light-weight than ours we
re.  Obviously, counterweights would not be required if they were a bi
ological component of the creature using them.
The bottom line, this is not something that cannot be conceived of or is to
o hard to do, and it is not something that is impossible for biological cre
atures to do, given that several creatures seem to "see." at least partiall
y, in the IR spectrum.  Indeed, a reasonably well equipped modern infa
ntryman would do quite well in a "dungeon" environment (if he could avoid f
reaking out when a hideous creature jumped out at him (or "her," these days
 too, I guess) from some side passage), especially since modern camouflage
"paint" (or "makeup," if you prefer) for the soldiers to use is actually IR
 suppressing (just as the battle dress uniforms are) precisely to overcome
enemy IR scopes and the like.  If they weren't in common use, the Arme
d Forces never would have gone to the trouble and expense to do any of that
.  And they wouldn't be in common use if they were all that hard to cr
eate or operate, or required something like a refrigeration plant to work.